New 20 ga over under/ upland and clays

Grit

Hello all, old fat Dutchman here. Looking to purchase a new over under 20 gauge to be
used for upland and some clays. What do you all think? I am pretty open, just wondering
if any other members have one they use and how they like it.

Welcome and I think any gun that fits well is going to be something you enjoy. Are you planning to hunt public land or will you be going with an outfitter?

BTW, I'm very sorry to hear about your ancestry. Tough deal. lol Just kidding. My wife and her family are Dutch, so I like to give a hard time.

Not too worried about price, would like to keep under 3,000. I have a 12 gauge cyenergy, but was wondering
different opinions on others. Would hunt public stuff. Dog is a pointer so.

Hard to go wrong with any of the top brands at that price. To me not much difference in quality when you get in your price range. So now its a personal preference. I lean toward the slimmer ones like the berettas

I have tried quite a few, some I really liked the fit and finish, but did not kill with them. The gun should just come up smoothly and drop the bird.
You will know when it fits you. We are all built different. Try them out at a skeet range first. For me it is a Beretta. Never a problem. I practice dry firing and mounting several times a week year round. Have fun exploring your options.

Grit -- I prefer Brownings (Citori Lightnings) for their fit to me but Browning or Beretta are both good choices. A 20ga with 28" or 30" barrels with choke tubes should serve you well. My favorite for hunting and some clays is a 20ga Citori Lightning w/ 28" barrels.

Hunt, 2021-9-1 (5).JPGHunt, 2020-9-30 (5).JPGHunt, 2019-11-16 SD pheasant hunt (8).JPG

If you decide to go cheaper there are numerous Turkish built guns. I would stick with the better known ones like, CZ, Mossberg, Maybe the Weatherby.

I've got one of the newer Citori White Lightnings in 20 gauge. Barrel length is 28" There's enough weight out front to keep the barrel moving (for me) but not enough weight to bog me down. I shoot 1 ounce of #5 or #6 in it. Works well. Browning or Beretta are both quality firearms that seem to hold their value.

Fit is most important IMO. Shoulder and try out as many as possible. I agree that the B guns are great options. I personally think the Browning CX series is one of the better deals out there today. Having said that I just sold one because I went to Beretta 20/28 gauge combo gun but a part of that was so I could get 32” barrels on both gauges. Just a personal preference. Beyond the B guns there are many other nice option in your price range. Take your time and enjoy the search.

Matt, that search is so true. Drives my wife crazy. I get more excited than searching for a new ride. Once in a great while, I'll have both near the same time. I be smiling all the way to Kansas!!

Matt, that search is so true. Drives my wife crazy. I get more excited than searching for a new ride. Once in a great while, I'll have both near the same time. I be smiling all the way to Kansas!!
My brain interpreted it as, "Drives my wife crazy. I get more excited than searching for a new bride," and I about spit out my coffee. Either way, good stuff. IMHO buying shotguns is WAY more fun than buying cars, which I really don't get a kick out of. Ranks right down there with tires & bed mattresses.
All that said, if I were to want a 20 gauge O/U, I'd probably try to find a nice Red Label w/ English stock. 16 would be Fausti Class LX.

Purchased a 20 gauge franchi Slx last year and don’t regret it for a minute. 28 inch barrels and super light, some may think it’s too light. After I patterned the gun a couple weeks into season and gained confidence I’m really satisfied!

20 gauge Browning CXS 30 inch barrels use it for sporting clay and pheasant hunting. From one fat Dutchman to another :LOL:

Last edited:
Back