Nesting conditions

Hockeybob

I believe I heard 6/10 was about the "peak" date of the hatch. The next 5 days in highs in the low 80's, lows around 55 degrees, moisture seems to be good. I'm thinking we should have a great hatch and hopefully larger bird numbers this fall.
What does everyone else think?

Bob

It's kind of the same story for most of the mid-west; Everything thus far is looking very good, and yes we are in the midst of peek hatch:). As we speak wild pheasant chicks are chirping and emerging from their eggs:thumbsup:

The next few weeks can make or break our wild pheasant numbers. Pheasant chicks are young and valuable to many different kinds of threats. We'll see how things go from here.

If things keep up the way they are we could be in for some fun this fall:cheers:

Nick

The grass around here has grown up in a hurry and all looks good so far, went looking at the grass growth and had a very pleasant surprise--lots and lots and I mean lots of baby grasshoppers out there --the pheasant chicks should have plenty to eat. The hoppers were from almost to small to tell what they were to maybe a quarter inch--very promising as of right now :D :10sign:

From my many trips around the state in the past month and a half I can definitely say we should have some good prospects for the upcoming season. Saw a lot of pheasants around in April and early May. Roosters as well as hens. The grass is looking great now and there are plenty of bugs as well as dew on the grass in the morning for the chicks. For those that are curious as to where I have traveled. I made it out west from Sioux Falls to west of Phillip. Drove I-90 then north. Many trips from Sioux Falls to Chamberlain via I-90. Also two trips to Mansfield, SD via I-29 to Watertown then west. As well as just returning this weekend from Faulkton. Man did I hear a lot of roosters up that way driving some back roads. Counting down the days already.

The grass around here has grown up in a hurry and all looks good so far, went looking at the grass growth and had a very pleasant surprise--lots and lots and I mean lots of baby grasshoppers out there --the pheasant chicks should have plenty to eat. The hoppers were from almost to small to tell what they were to maybe a quarter inch--very promising as of right now :D :10sign:

That's a good thing:thumbsup: The faster they find food the faster they return to safer areas:)

Nick

Back