Needing Help

Typically the NW part of the state has the best bird numbers. Go to Iowa DNR website and should be able to get some direction from past roadside counts. Also can find maps for public land there.

Thanks Matt. I have looked at Hancock or Winnebago looks like a lot of public and walk ins areas. It would be great to get help on where to stay etc. Randy

If you don't have contacts, figure out where the public ground is and then where the best bird numbers are reported. By yourself, have a dog, any experience?

Thanks Matt. I have looked at Hancock or Winnebago looks like a lot of public and walk ins areas. It would be great to get help on where to stay etc. Randy
I live in Kossuth, so let me know when you're in the area. We have a few spots. Here are the two things that we publish yearly. Our next report is coming out in a few weeks for this year.

Attachments

• aug_roadside_2020map.pdf
    280.9 KB · Views: 32
  • aug_roadside_2020distmap (1).pdf
    386 KB · Views: 26
If you don't have contacts, figure out where the public ground is and then where the best bird numbers are reported. By yourself, have a dog, any experience?
Remy3424 I will have a buddy or two with me. I have GSP and he does a good. I’ve hunted reserves and state release programs for year just never had time to come to Iowa. I would appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks Randy

I live in Kossuth, so let me know when you're in the area. We have a few spots. Here are the two things that we publish yearly. Our next report is coming out in a few weeks for this year.
BPATT11. Thanks for the maps and information that will help me to decide where i may go. If I decide to be close to Kossuth I will let you know. Thanks Randy

See if this link works, it should be information on IHAP, that and the State owned public areas. Drill-down on the areas of the state with the most birds. Like Bpatt said, watch for the August survey results coming soon for recent bird counts. Reiterating Matt's comments.

See if this link works, it should be information on IHAP, that and the State owned public areas. Drill-down on the areas of the state with the most birds. Like Bpatt said, watch for the August survey results coming soon for recent bird counts. Reiterating Matt's comments.
Thanks remy3424 I will watch for the survey and figure out what area that I’m going to hunt. Thanks again. Randy

I would stay north of HWY 20 and from there it’s really just a matter of putting in the hours hunting. I shot birds on public in 19 different counties last year. They are out there, and you’ll find birds if you’re willing to work for them. Hunt during the week and stay away from bigger cities and you’ll have some success, but don’t expect to shoot limits of birds either (although possible).

I would stay north of HWY 20 and from there it’s really just a matter of putting in the hours hunting. I shot birds on public in 19 different counties last year. They are out there, and you’ll find birds if you’re willing to work for them. Hunt during the week and stay away from bigger cities and you’ll have some success, but don’t expect to shoot limits of birds either (although possible).
Cyclonernation10. Thanks for the help sounds likes there are plenty of birds just have to hit the ground and work. Randy

Randy, I will jump in because I have hunted NW Iowa for years. I also come in from out of state. I can recommend different towns and cities where you would like to make your base camp. Iowa can get very rural pretty quickly and if you are from out of state you don't want to waste your time driving hours to the hunting areas. Let me know if you need any help.

I am seeing good numbers of birds around Woodbury County. I have also seen good numbers of birds around Dickinson County, but I'm not sure how much public land they have up that way? This will be my first season hunting public land in Iowa. I typically hunt family ground across the river in Nebraska.

I am seeing good numbers of birds around Woodbury County. I have also seen good numbers of birds around Dickinson County, but I'm not sure how much public land they have up that way? This will be my first season hunting public land in Iowa. I typically hunt family ground across the river in Nebraska.
They have plenty due to the lakes up there, you just have to be ready to hunt in some wetland areas. I have got a few limits out of them and stayed dry. Staying dry this year shouldn't be a problem.

Randy, I will jump in because I have hunted NW Iowa for years. I also come in from out of state. I can recommend different towns and cities where you would like to make your base camp. Iowa can get very rural pretty quickly and if you are from out of state you don't want to waste your time driving hours to the hunting areas. Let me know if you need any help.
Open ranger. Thank you for reaching out I will stay in touch with you. Thanks Randy

Lefty76 Thanks for the information I have a lot to check out that’s for sure. Randy

Randy, I will jump in because I have hunted NW Iowa for years. I also come in from out of state. I can recommend different towns and cities where you would like to make your base camp. Iowa can get very rural pretty quickly and if you are from out of state you don't want to waste your time driving hours to the hunting areas. Let me know if you need any help
Open Ranger. I’m still checking out Iowa if you could give me some towns you have stayed in that worked out the best that would be great.

Randy,

What week are you heading Iowa? I would suggest staying at in Mason City there are many Hotels there and great restaurants up and down the main drag. If you plan on coming for the opening weekend our group will be staying at the Super 8 they are bird dog friendly and they give a great rate to us hunters from out of town. Nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. I just booked my rooms there today for the opening weekend I can get you the phone number if you would like.

Randy,

What week are you heading Iowa? I would suggest staying at in Mason City there are many Hotels there and great restaurants up and down the main drag. If you plan on coming for the opening weekend our group will be staying at the Super 8 they are bird dog friendly and they give a great rate to us hunters from out of town. Nothing fancy but the rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. I just booked my rooms there today for the opening weekend I can get you the phone number if you would like.
Open Ranger. I’m thing the week after thanksgiving but still work out some detail. Thanks for the advice I will have to look that area out

Something to keep in mind for your trip. The Iowa Deer hunting starts the week after the Thanksgiving and that would be a bad time because of the amount of Deer hunters across the state. Deer hunting in Iowa is like a state holiday. I would suggest coming before or after there deer hunting seasons.

Open Ranger

Back