Need to rent a tractor and disc...

matto

My habitat project for the spring is to do a little discing in some grass stands that have gotten too dense. I want to set the grass back a bit and encourage forb growth so that it's better nesting and brood-rearing habitat.

Discing is not the only tool for this, but it's the one I want to use. The ground is not enrolled in any conservation program of any kind; the CRP contract expired several years ago.

I'm having a difficult time finding a tractor and disc--specifically a disc--to rent. Lots of rental yards have tractors, many have roto-tillers, box blades, etc., but I've found none that have discs. From past experience roto-tillers don't work well in crp grass. The grass just wraps around the shaft.

It's a 4+ hour round trip just to set foot on the ground, so I'm hoping for a one-trip solution. Who should I call in our around Wichita that would have a tractor and disc I can rent?

Probably true but it's one of those deals where I'd really rather do it myself. I'm not even sure what I want the ground to look like when I'm done. I'd like to try several different degrees of "disturbance" to see what's necessary to get what I want in the summer.

Matto , we normally run a fire through the area we are going to disc , excessive ground clutter almost always balls up in a disc , if you prefer you could mow it and the use a hay rake or box blade with scarifierers set down .

You could also look up some of the local Pheasants forever chapter six to see if you could get a line on the equipment you need .

Good one on you for working to make a difference.

/\ What KSB said. Ask the habitat crew when you are at the PF banquit. Betting they will get you hooked-up.

What KSB said X2. Unless you bush hog it first, small tractor and a 2-4 row disk won't do much in a thick stand of grass.

Farmer here, as above, disking standing grass can be futile. Especially with a smaller disc, not near enough weight. There is a sweet spot in ground conditions. Not too dry like concrete, nor too wet and slabby. Your area may be different, ask farm neighbors opinions. Best case scenario they point to a machine and say have at her and fill her up when you’re done.

ok. You have all convinced me to mow first. As short as possible?

Soil is pretty sandy. How does that impact what I'm trying to do?

It will make the disking easier, but if you get a dry summer you will get a lot of sandburs. The best month to disk is October and November to get the species most beneficial to upland birds.

Prairie Drifter,

I just want to make sure I understand your comment. Is the risk of sand burs less if I disc without mowing?

I hate those things and so do my dogs. We have another piece of pasture that has too much cheat grass. I tried to graze off the cheat while the good grasses were dormant. We did an ok job suppressing the cheat, but it came up in sand bur. I'm going to try one more year, but I think I'd rather have the cheat.

The mowing has little effect on species response. The timing of the disking and the rainfall during the spring and summer can make the difference between broad-leafed plants and grassy sandbur. Generally speaking, the best effects are achieved when the disking is done in October and November. The later you wait, the higher the incidence of sandbur.

Have you tried the local Pheasants Forever farm bill biologist? Mine is a gold mine of connections for habitat work, and they can probably provide some guidance on a specific plan of action.

Back