Need some advice

Bkreyz

Taking a trip out to Mankato Kansas with some friends they don’t seem to have the best of luck and I was thinking we are not going west or south enough never even pheasant hunted before so who am I to say lol just story’s from great grandpa and my pops they always said the best was in montezuma/Oakley/Colby Kansas just need some advice on what to look for or if I should talk then into another spot? Only public and wiha might try to knock on some doors apparently my friends have not heard of this last year they went for 5 days and got 1 rooster and a bunny so we will see what happens this year going out late November

Taking a trip out to Mankato Kansas with some friends they don’t seem to have the best of luck and I was thinking we are not going west or south enough never even pheasant hunted before so who am I to say lol just story’s from great grandpa and my pops they always said the best was in montezuma/Oakley/Colby Kansas just need some advice on what to look for or if I should talk then into another spot? Only public and wiha might try to knock on some doors apparently my friends have not heard of this last year they went for 5 days and got 1 rooster and a bunny so we will see what happens this year going out late November
Longest single sentence on record!

Further west. If you have dogs there should be some good quail hunting tho. But Mankato area isn’t what it once was. None of Kansas is tho.

Find different guys to hunt with....some that know what they are doing...unless you are just looking for exercise. 5 days hunting, one rooster...either not enough birds to be hunting them or they are terrible shots. Things need to change.

You are not giving us enough info. Where are you coming from? Do you have dogs? Are you interested in quail too? I would start at least an hour farther w. But unless you find someplace that has had above average rain, pickings are gonna be mighty slim.

Kansas is just not as good as advertised. We took a trip out there 6 years ago to keep from having to drive so far to North Dakota from Tennessee, big mistake. It took us 3 days to see the first pheasant, ended up killing 2 pheasants in five days. We got a bunch of quail though. If you can get on some private ground it might be pretty good, we were just on public.

Back