Need info on Pheasant hunting in WI

Little Brit

My wife will be relocated to WI for work and I was wondering if any one can share with me what is need to hunt pheasant in the state. We will be moving from Ontario Canada. I do have my hunting licence here which I think can be transferred without much headaches. What do you need to bird hunt licences wise.

Little Brit - You should check out the Wisconsin DNR web site. They have some information on pheasant hunting locations etc. I dont know how long it takes to establish residency, but once you have, all you need is a small game license and a pheasant stamp.
Wisconsin has a pheasant stocking program and they publish the locations and number of birds that they release. I drive around quite a bit in western wisconsin and occasionally see pheasants. I see hunters periodically hunting pheasants. I know there aren't very many birds but there are some here and there. Best of luck to you!

Pretty easy here: Both resident and non-resident licenses are available for small game. To hunt pheasants, one needs to purchase a "pheasant stamp" (dated language, it's just an addtional fee,) Department of Natural Resources has been working to improve the hunting opportunities over the last few years and is putting out more birds, and giving site managers some more control over the properties they manage with great improvement.

For waterfowl, one needs to get the Federal Stamp for migratory birds in addition to the small game license.

Other seasons include Goose, Spring and Fall Turkey.

No need to transfer any license.

Welcome and have fun.

Thank you very much. Next question is how far of a drive from Racine to SD or ND lol. Always been on the bucket list and now it will probably be a possibility without breaking the bank.

By transfer license I think he means what we call hunter safety. I think they have to take a course every so often to get certified.

LB
If the above is what your talking about and if you've taken hunters safety type course once your good to go for life here. Not sure the process of how to prove that or what you have to Fill out but I'd bet it's simple.

You can be in sd in under 10 hours.

Last edited:
Yeah we take a 3 day hunter safety course and it includes gun safety so we come out with both gun and hunting licence. On top of that we need to take a one day turkey hunting course (waste of time and money).

I thought SD would be closer but 10 hours is do able. Do you guys have Sunday hunting in WI.

Nice. This might not be so bad. I've been looking at homes around the outskirts of Racine. Can anyone suggest some areas within 30min from Racine in the country.

Nice. This might not be so bad. I've been looking at homes around the outskirts of Racine. Can anyone suggest some areas within 30min from Racine in the country.

Go on the Wisconsin Dept of Natural Resources website and check out the public grounds that are stocked. There are several not real far from Racine, but know that they are hunted very heavily. Tichigan wildlife area, Scuppernong, Vernon Marsh, and Bong are just a few. Be sure to read the regulations very carefully. Some of the public areas are stocked with both hens and roosters and hens are legal targets. Some require special leg tags, some of the areas close at 2pm. If it's possible, hunt during the week to avoid the crowds.

Back