Need Help

Ok, I know the question I am about to ask is a big one and will most likely cause reaction.. but I am going to ask it anyway.

I would love to bring my dad, brother in-law and father in-law out to SD to hunt. The dad's are retired and are therefore living on a fixed budget. The brother in-law works in the construction industry and is laid off during the cool weather months. So.. this means that the budget is limited in terms of being able to pay for hunting privileges, etc.

How can I go about finding some private land to hunt without having to pay to access it? I know we can access public land, and will, but would love to find some private land to hunt as well.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

although some will say different, the odds are definitely not in your favor, unless you make a willing contact on this board....good luck.
Kansas, in my opinion, is a better option for access...

ND???

Ok, I know the question I am about to ask is a big one and will most likely cause reaction.. but I am going to ask it anyway.

I would love to bring my dad, brother in-law and father in-law out to SD to hunt. The dad's are retired and are therefore living on a fixed budget. The brother in-law works in the construction industry and is laid off during the cool weather months. So.. this means that the budget is limited in terms of being able to pay for hunting privileges, etc.

How can I go about finding some private land to hunt without having to pay to access it? I know we can access public land, and will, but would love to find some private land to hunt as well.

Coming from the cities, ND doesn't mean a long trek like Kansas. Granted still probably a 4-5 hour drive, you can still have some good success in the SE part of the state. I'm probably going to get a few eye rolls here since I've mentioned it many times in my short existence here on UPH. But ND does have PLOTS land (Private Land Open To Sportsmen). Other than opening weekend, this land is free to access for even non-resident hunters. So no need to knock on doors and invest time there. Pick up a PLOTS guide when you buy your license or go to http://gf.nd.gov/maps/plots.html for the online guide and plan your trip now. You can also purchase your license here on this site ahead of time. $100 for (1) 14-day hunting period or (2) 7-day hunting periods.
I recently wrote an article http://www.uplandgameadventures.com/?p=166 about PLOTS if you want to get a better understanding. Also what the sign looks like is shown there too.
I've hunted section 42 for many years and could probably offer some pointers if you are more serious. Contact me through my site if you wish.

Good luck and hopefully everything comes together for you.

Coming from the cities, ND doesn't mean a long trek like Kansas. Granted still probably a 4-5 hour drive, you can still have some good success in the SE part of the state. I'm probably going to get a few eye rolls here since I've mentioned it many times in my short existence here on UPH. But ND does have PLOTS land (Private Land Open To Sportsmen). Other than opening weekend, this land is free to access for even non-resident hunters. So no need to knock on doors and invest time there. Pick up a PLOTS guide when you buy your license or go to http://gf.nd.gov/maps/plots.html for the online guide and plan your trip now. You can also purchase your license here on this site ahead of time. $100 for (1) 14-day hunting period or (2) 7-day hunting periods.
I recently wrote an article http://www.uplandgameadventures.com/?p=166 about PLOTS if you want to get a better understanding. Also what the sign looks like is shown there too.
I've hunted section 42 for many years and could probably offer some pointers if you are more serious. Contact me through my site if you wish.

Good luck and hopefully everything comes together for you.

I wonder how long the mods of this site will continue to let you advertise "your" site on this site.....just an observation....

I'm sorry you view me as advertising my site here. I feel my site is not in direct competition with UPH. I write about pheasant hunting primarily in the ND, SD and MN area and research a number of different topics. If people choose to visit the site and leave comments, that is one thing. I do not have a forum page to pull members from here and hook them to my site. Nor will I ever have that on my site.

It's my understanding for this forum to ask questions to fellow hunters and get answers or just vent. So am I wrong for trying to help a guy and his in-laws getting access to land on a tight budget? I invested some time learning about the PLOTS program that ND has and how many people are aware of this program outside of ND? Did you know about it? There are probably many NoDaker's that didn't even know the specifics of it either.

Why would I invite a complete stranger to hunt possibly the same fields I hunt? I'm not "that" hunter who gets all uptight that I have to share a field with other hunters.

Part of writing a blog is hoping readers will stumble upon their site and keep returning...otherwise, whats the point of writing it. It's like reading out loud to an empty room. So if I have written something that could directly help a fellow member on this site, I think I have that right just like you do. It's not like I copied and pasted my page directly onto this forum. I hope the members here can walk away knowing and trusting what I write here and my site as factual and not some attention whore.

I guess it's my impression of blogging that people who take the time to write about a common thing is a good thing. It brings added value to all their readers from a much bigger audience than just be it from one site. I have a buddy who blogs about the MN Twins. He's been doing it for a number of years now and has established many contacts with Twins players themselves and even has guest written on the other bloggers sites. He even has those bloggers write for his site too. I am new to the world wide web and feel that I'm very knowledgeable - some may argue that too. But my heart is in the right spot and helping out hunters who may be new to the sport and just need some guidance. Or teach an old dog a new trick. So i apologize you feel that I'm 'advertising' my site when I'm simply directing a member to the main source itself (first) or my site. If he does that, great! If not, I guess I'm just talking out loud in an empty room.

Rocky,

Unfortunately, you and a million other out-of-state hunters are in the same boat. It has gotten increasingly difficult to hunt private land in SD. Even us residents have a tough time. I hunt public land probably 75% of the time. However, it's not impossible to find some private land if you knock on enough doors.

Since you are on a tight budget I would think the extra distance to Kansas might not work for you. It may be easier to get access to private land in Kansas but SD still has the largest population of pheasants. Last year there were 746,000 birds harvested in Kansas and 1,600,000 in SD. Hunting public land can be successful if you have good dogs and are willing to put in some miles.

I wish I could be of more assistance. I wish you the best of luck and hope you make it to SD.

George

Back