Need Help on Gun Upgrade!

Shot a Mossberg 500 all my life. Decided to get an auto and went with a M2. It was between that and a Fonchi Afinity. If my wife would have surprised me with the Frochi I would have been perfectly happy too. Bought my daughter a Frochi 20 for first gun later on. Both pull up nice, benelli is a little easier to clean. Frochi is best bang for the buck. M2 is ohhhh so nice

Does the 870 fit you well and do you usually shoot it well? If so, I would be inclined to try another Remington as the fit, feel and safety placement is right where you expect it to be. I started with an 870 and then an 11-87, I did buy a V-3 a few years ago, but the wrist of the stock is somewhat bigger and just doesn't feel (it isn't) the same...not sure how a Versa-Max wrist feels. 60-days plus in the field and a $2K budget, a lucky retired fella, well done! I have a SBE and used it once for a parcel, got a bird but and haven't had it out since, didn't care for the feel of it. Over 4 decades of carrying a Rem, it is hard for me to fixed what is isn't broken.

I do shoot my 870 fine (well generally not the first shot because my brain turns off, but the 2nd one I’m good ;) ). I wish I were retired, but I’m blessed with a good job that only requires my time 3 days a week, so with a 4 day weekend every week I get to chase a lot of critters. Someone earlier commented about feel and I do love the feel of my 870, just not the performance. I like the idea of holding a pile of different brands and picking one that fits me well.

At this point I would say I’m leaning Benelli M2, but I’m looking forward to checking out all options suggested at my local gun shop.

I didn’t add this but weight is a factor, I do a lot of hunting with my kids in the backpack so I will take that into account too. My 4 year old will be too big next year but my daughter will be ready to hop in.

C2D621B6-CC00-4D33-BC13-BEBCE254AB2B.jpeg

Attachments

• DA8F2A2A-93E5-4C3A-81B4-50E5B31DFAFC.jpeg
    DA8F2A2A-93E5-4C3A-81B4-50E5B31DFAFC.jpeg
    830.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 3C02C621-F306-4FDE-B002-6FBF31B59B69.jpeg
    3C02C621-F306-4FDE-B002-6FBF31B59B69.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
If you shoot an 870 well and it fits you good i would look at an 1100 or 11-87, not the newest but very good guns and the fit will be similar to the 870 imo. I picked up a nice little 1100 light weight 20 and it is a dream to carry in the field. I also have a berretta a300, which is a nice gun but I don't like the safety being at the front of the trigger guard, so I usually only use this for waterfowl. Plenty of very nice semi's out there within your price range, just need to go the the gun store and try some on for fit, so to speak.

or the 2nd bird gets up and I'm screwing around with a shell that hasn't fully discharged
I used to have an 870 when I first started bird hunting in HS and experienced this issue on occasion too. The spent casing wouldn't full eject after I shot and then next round would get hunt up because of it. At the time, it was the only shotgun I could afford so I didn't have much of a choice.

Once I entered the real work force and got a decent job, I upgraded. I was glad to see that 870 go. It weighed a ton and would be better served as a fence post.

I upgraded to a Benelli Montrefelto with a 26 inch barrel. Its hasn't failed me once in 17 years now. Its light weight and very well balanced. I only use it for pheasant hunting though. If I was going to buy more of an all-purpose shotgun I'd go with a Super Black Eagle in camo so I could also use it for waterfowl and turkey hunting. I have a Supernova that I use for turkey hunting and since it can handle a 3.5 inch shell, I use that size load for turkeys. With turkeys, more power is better IMO.

I didn’t add this but weight is a factor, I do a lot of hunting with my kids in the backpack so I will take that into account too. My 4 year old will be too big next year but my daughter will be ready to hop in.
You are awesome, sir, taking your children along like that. I salute you! I hope you find the perfect new shotgun.

I’d sure give the Beretta XPlorer a hard look, I thought the kick off was a gimmick but holy is that thing slick. Have a Franchi, had a Browning Maxxus, SX3, if you can get used to the safety I think the Beretta is the best.

If memory serves me, the safety on a remington is behind the trigger. If youre used to that , id stick with it. Franchi or Remington semi auto. The Franchi can be had for far less money than a Benelli. Id played around with Benellis, they arent worth the extra 500 bucks imo. The Franchi or Remington would serve you right at 800 or under.

I’d sure give the Beretta XPlorer a hard look, I thought the kick off was a gimmick but holy is that thing slick. Have a Franchi, had a Browning Maxxus, SX3, if you can get used to the safety I think the Beretta is the best.
I bought the a400 last Fall and the safety has taken some getting used to but I really like the gun. Weighs 6 lb 11 ozs if I recall correctly.

I grabbed a pile of different guns. For fit and feel the Benelli M2 and Franchi Affiniti 3 stood out to me. I tried the Montefeltro on for size and I'm used to the vented rib and think it would take me too long to get used to not having it there. I know Beretta owns both of these companies, but I think I'm leaning towards the Benelli. They felt similar but for some reason the Benelli just felt better made.

Or am I just spending an extra 500$'s on the name? I'm a buy once cry once kind of guy. If I spend 1300 or 800 it'll effect my life zero one way or the other, my kids aren't going hungry over this purchase.

I tried the Montefeltro on for size and I'm used to the vented rib and think it would take me too long to get used to not having it there.

grossklw, I am fairly sure all the Montefeltro shotguns have a ventilated rib.

I've been looking into the Inertia action click problem. According to Randy Wakeman, all the Inertia guns built on the Civolani patent (which Benelli purchased and is present in Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger Inertia guns) have the possibility of a click. The patent has expired so the same problem exists in other copycat brands. I have experienced a couple clicks with my M2 20ga for the record.

Now Benelli has modified the Inertia action in their SBE and the Ethos shotguns. As Wakeman explains it, Benelli added a springed ball and detent "causing said rotating head to rotate, facilitating its translation toward the breech plane in order to complete the locking."

The list price on the Ethos is about $500 more than the M2, the SBE about $300 more than an M2.

The Turkish Retay shotgun is an Inertia gun but Retay has their own patented fix for the click possibility. Wakeman likes the Retays and says the Retay Masa Mara is a "far better built shotgun" than the Benelli Ethos and costs about $1000-1100.

I don't know a thing about Retay; never seen one and have not really researched them online. They just seem to have resolved the Inertia action click problem.

All this info from: https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/how-did-benelli-fix-the-benelli-click.523548/

grossklw, I am fairly sure all the Montefeltro shotguns have a ventilated rib.
I may have mis-spoke on it, raised rib? Not sure what it's called specifically, where the barrel has a raised surface, when I handle the gun I like a clean sightline straight down the barrell with it slightly raised, the montefrelto I tried didn't have it. The Binelli click I see isn't a new problem, that may influence me now that I've looked into it more.

@AtTheMurph, I like 3 shots no o/u or s/s for me.

Check out the Winchester SX4. Built on a proven gas system that Browning has been using for years and it has the raised rib you're looking for. They also can be had for about $800 street price for the all black. Usually around Christmas they run rebate programs where you can save another $100.

Also, if you want a raised rib Benelli, your options are SBE3,M2, and Ultra light. The Franchi Affinity also has raised rib. The one thing the Affinity has going for it is that the recoil spring is in the forearm instead of the butt stock like Benellis. And cheaper!

1669855551389.png
So that's a Montefeltro with ventilated rib.

Of course, I'm not sure what you are looking for but I'll point out that the stock shims included with the Benellis can easily adjust stock drop, changing how much of the rib you see.

Anyway, best of luck. Lots of good shotguns out there now. Hope you find one you really like.

View attachment 4662
So that's a Montefeltro with ventilated rib.

Of course, I'm not sure what you are looking for but I'll point out that the stock shims included with the Benellis can easily adjust stock drop, changing how much of the rib you see.

Anyway, best of luck. Lots of good shotguns out there now. Hope you find one you really like.
I'm not an auto guy but I like that. Wood and blue!!

I used to have an 870 when I first started bird hunting in HS and experienced this issue on occasion too. The spent casing wouldn't full eject after I shot and then next round would get hunt up because of it. At the time, it was the only shotgun I could afford so I didn't have much of a choice.

Once I entered the real work force and got a decent job, I upgraded. I was glad to see that 870 go. It weighed a ton and would be better served as a fence post.

I upgraded to a Benelli Montrefelto with a 26 inch barrel. Its hasn't failed me once in 17 years now. Its light weight and very well balanced. I only use it for pheasant hunting though. If I was going to buy more of an all-purpose shotgun I'd go with a Super Black Eagle in camo so I could also use it for waterfowl and turkey hunting. I have a Supernova that I use for turkey hunting and since it can handle a 3.5 inch shell, I use that size load for turkeys. With turkeys, more power is better IMO.
I to shoot a Monti for upland in a 20 , like it better than Ethos . Shot a lot of rounds though a 870 as a kid. 1100 s and super x as I got older. SBE is not a pheasant gun , shoot what you have.

Back