Need Help on Gun Upgrade!

grossklw

I've been shooting an old 870 express for the last 20 years, and the time has come for me to upgrade. Over the last couple years I've had more instances than I'd like of me short-shucking a shell and I watch as the rooster flies away unscathed when I could've had another shot at 30 yards; or the 2nd bird gets up and I'm screwing around with a shell that hasn't fully discharged. I've had it into the gunsmith and after several tweaks it's better, but still does happen occasionally (which is more than I'll accept at this point in my life). I still plan on keeping it for rainy, crappy weather...but I've decided its time...

I've always shot a pump but am considering going to an auto-loader, someone talk me into or out of it and I'll go from there. I've got a budget of about 2k and something I'm looking to get for next year. I spend 60+ days in the field focusing primarily on pheasants, but I also do a bit of duck/goose hunting and turkeys in the spring. Am I overthinking this and should just go high end and cry once and get a Benelli Super Black Eagle? I don't need to spend that much, but I'm fine paying for quality. I don't want a s/s or o/u FYI, I kill too many on that 3rd shot or occasionally need it on a bird that I clearly drew feathers from. I'm not one that loves collecting a million guns, I want a high quality either pump or autoloader that I plan on using until I die.

Unless I was shooting a ton of 3.5" I'd buy an m2 over a super black eagle. They're discontinued but I think there are still plenty out there. Spend another 30.00 and put a wolffe magazine and recoil spring in it and you're good to go. You could add a wood stock franchi affinity 3 walnut to it, nice gun I shoot that one too, and come in close to what you'd spend for the latest 3d max super black eagle. 2 guns for the price of one

Unless I was shooting a ton of 3.5" I'd buy an m2 over a super black eagle. They're discontinued but I think there are still plenty out there. Spend another 30.00 and put a wolffe magazine and recoil spring in it and you're good to go. You could add a wood stock franchi affinity 3 walnut to it, nice gun I shoot that one too, and come in close to what you'd spend for the latest 3d max super black eagle. 2 guns for the price of one

I don't shoot any 3.5", even with turkeys a 3" seems to kill them pretty dead. Pheasants I run BOSS #4's, ducks it's federal speed-shock #2's, geese same in BB, and turkeys is usually Winchester Double X 5's; currently have had short-shucking and jamming issues on all rounds hence the switch.

I don’t need another shotgun really but its looks and weight have me eyeing it. Easy carry for long days afield.

I have a 20ga M2 Comfortech. Nice shotgun, easy carry as well. So sure, M2s are good.

BrownDogs, what would I gain if I changed to the Wolff springs in my M2?
Chestle if you've never had a problem maybe nothing, mine was a big headache even after several hundred rounds. Its a plus power spring so it just cycles faster and with more oomph. If you've ever had cycling problems and arent going to shoot light- light loads or knocked it out of battery and heard the benelli click heavier springs will fix it. Magazine spring has to be replaced to keep time with the heavier recoil spring, If you do it run the magazine spring over a cleaning rod because its stiff and wants to bend and get all kinked up.

Last edited:
I bought a Browning Silver Hunter 12 gauge with a 26” barrel a few years ago, and it has never failed me. It has a 3” chamber, but I’ve never shot anything but 2 and 3/4” shells in it.

Here’s the thing, it always shoots any and everything I feed it from an ammo standpoint and never fails to cycle. From cheap 8 shot dove loads when it’s 95 degrees outside all the way up to high brass 5’s for pheasants when it’s in the teens, it cycles every time.

It came with all the shims and other accessories to change the Length of Pull, and it came with 5 invector chokes.

It’s a gas operated semi-auto.

You can find them used for around $1,000. I think I gave $1,250 for it, brand new.

I shot it every day last week in South Dakota and it gathered a lot of roosters for me.

I highly recommend this make/model of 12 gauge.

OP, I have a brand new Browning Maxus listed in the classifieds here you should check out. Beautiful gun in your price range.

My suggestion would be to go to the gun shop and shoulder as many shotguns as you can find. Over and over and over. I liked the looks and feel of a number of different guns, but the Franchi Affinity is the one that pulled up the best, level barrel, etc. I don't particularly care for the gaudy camo pattern on my gun, but it's for function not looks. Find the gun that fits you best and go with it.

OP, I have a brand new Browning Maxus listed in the classifieds here you should check out. Beautiful gun in your price range.
I'll check it out, I need to wait until after xmas until finally pulling the trigger. 1300 left our Venmo account and my wife won't tell me why so I need to be safe for a little bit yet :). I do agree that is a gorgeous gun though.

The 12 gauge Browning Auto-5 Hunter would be a good choice--mine has never let me down and I hunt pheasants and ducks, as you do. The 3" model is al you need. I have the Mossy Oak Grass Blades camo but that is purely a personal choice. Recoil is mild. Very reliable. A bit more affordable than the Benelli or Beretta.

Since you have a month or so b4 your purchase, you have time to do some research
I too grew up on a 870, & like you, didn’t consider a semi auto for years. I didn’t know much about them.
There are recoil operated (a tiny bit slower cycling and run cleaner) and gas operated (lighter recoil, ports unused gas & runs dirtier)
I prefer gas operated but own both.
Randy Wakeman has a number of reviews on his website, and Shotgunworld is a tremendous resource. Totally agree with GH - gun fit is key
One other comment - simplicity in design - the fewer the parts the better - can the gun be easily stripped down & cleaned, and or a jam repaired in the field. Good luck with your choice

Since you have a month or so b4 your purchase, you have time to do some research
I too grew up on a 870, & like you, didn’t consider a semi auto for years. I didn’t know much about them.
There are recoil operated (a tiny bit slower cycling and run cleaner) and gas operated (lighter recoil, ports unused gas & runs dirtier)
I prefer gas operated but own both.
Randy Wakeman has a number of reviews on his website, and Shotgunworld is a tremendous resource. Totally agree with GH - gun fit is key
One other comment - simplicity in design - the fewer the parts the better - can the gun be easily stripped down & cleaned, and or a jam repaired in the field. Good luck with your choice
There is world of difference between a 870 express and 870 wing master. If you like pumps look at a wingmaster if they still make them

A good, reasonable option on a semiauto might be a Winchester SX4.
Gas operated, Lightweight, large oversized bolt release, safety button, and trigger guard make it much easier handling in inclement weather. Comes in 3 and 3 1/2 chamber, numerous camo, black synthetic and a couple wood versions. Also comes with a couple 1/4 inch spacers to allow you to change LOP. 12 gauge comes in at about 6 1/2 lbs. I’ve owned 12 ga since 2016 when they first came out and just bought the 20 ga version last spring. Have close to 2000 rounds through the 12 ga at the trap range and in the field and close to a 1000 rounds through the 20 with no significant issues. Price point in the 650 range for black and up to about 950 for camo and higher end wood versions. Worth a look.
note: several 870 wingmaster, and a couple over unders reside in my safe today. The Sx4 has become my go to in the field.

I expect three things from an auto, boom, boom, boom. All good choices above. Could make a long list here, but it is about fit and balance.

Have the Benelli SBE II in 12 gauge and 2 M2's, one in 12 and other in 20. Would go M2 based on your stated needs. Also have a Retay Masai Mara 20 gauge I prefer over ALL the Benelli guns.

Does the 870 fit you well and do you usually shoot it well? If so, I would be inclined to try another Remington as the fit, feel and safety placement is right where you expect it to be. I started with an 870 and then an 11-87, I did buy a V-3 a few years ago, but the wrist of the stock is somewhat bigger and just doesn't feel (it isn't) the same...not sure how a Versa-Max wrist feels. 60-days plus in the field and a $2K budget, a lucky retired fella, well done! I have a SBE and used it once for a parcel, got a bird but and haven't had it out since, didn't care for the feel of it. Over 4 decades of carrying a Rem, it is hard for me to fixed what is isn't broken.

Back