Need help by tomorrow 12/2/12

seahawks_ia_fan

Looking to go hunting pheasant tomorrow. I'm thinking of just drving dirt roads around Atkins iowa and west and seeing if there are any around. I'm also thinking of hunting public land and here are a few places. Has anyone hunted these areas or could help if these areas would even be good for pheasant. Thanks

Linn
Bertram D,T,S,W 139 acres;
Timber 2 miles S of Bertram on Hwy 13 at Hwy 30

Chain-O-Lakes D,P,W,R,Dv 634 acres;
1/4 Upland, 1/4 Marsh, 1/2 Timber 1 mile E of Palo on Blairs Ferry Rd

Pleasant Creek D,T,P,Q,S,R,W 1,968 acres;
1/4 Timber, 1/4 Lake, 1/2 Upland Exit 35 off I-380, W 5 miles, W on McClintock to entrance

Wood Duck Bottoms D,T,S,P,W 428 acres;
Timber Center Point exit off I-380, 5 miles W on Lewis Access Rd

Thanks for all your help

Timing?

Hello Seahawk,

Hate to rain on your parade but you could not have picked a poorer time to venture into the public lands. This is the shotgun opener for deer. You could easily find yourself in the middle of a compromising situation if out on the public during this season. I would suggest you try to get private access and stay away from timbered areas if at all possible.

I have yet to see a rooster that is worth the health of you and/or your dog. I would choose which land to access very carefully the next two weeks!

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go road hunting this morningwhichwasa bad idea. I got up before sun rise n headedwest of Atkins and drove the roads southwest to northwest of atkins about 20 minutes. Saw a lot of good areas but not one bird. My dad always said when i was a young kid and him n my uncle went hunting they could get they limit every time and see birds on just about every gravel road in the country.

Your prolly not going to do that well road hunting unless you're going for crows. Pleasant Creek area isn't too bad, but like this guys above said. Wait till deer seasons are over with. Goose lake has proven to be ok this year so far. I've shot a couple out there. You can't be afraid to cover some miles on foot though. Hope you have a dog, otherwise it'll be pretty tough to find any birds on public land, they'll run circles around ya. And the days of shooting your limit by just driving around gravel roads are long gone. sucks, but ya do what you can and just enjoy the outdoors. Good luck

Back