Nebraska Weekend #2

Uplandhunter67

Well weekend 2 in Nebraska was similar to the experiences we had last weekend. The temps stayed below 60 so it was comfortable for the dogs.

First field we hit was very quiet. No roosters cackling, crowing and didn’t flush a bird so we headed to the next spot. Here the dogs put up a covey of quail. We weren’t expecting them as we were in high prairie. I managed to roll one before they sailed over onto private ground.

We headed north towards Imperial. Outside Imperial we ran into more hunters in places we wanted to try. There was less than last weekend, but still a good number.
We poked around on various WIA plots and flushed 4 birds at 60+ yards. We started working our way towards Hays Center stopping at likely looking WIA. One field we stopped at held two prairie chickens that jumped well out of range. Weird thing was they were singles about 100 yards apart.

With about two hours left we finally jumped a rooster in range. Guns boomed and a rooster was bagged.

Last walk of the day North of Hays Center we the dogs flushed a hen and another covey quail that skirted low over the brush. No shots because of the proximity of the dogs.
So Saturday ended with us seeing 14 pheasants including birds seen along the roadside, two large quail coveys (both in places I would think you’d find them), and no less than 50 deer.

Sunday started well with temps in the low 30’s with heavy cloud cover. The first field held nothing but meadow larks. We did observe a large flock of chickens coasting out to feed. We headed over to another field. These fields are landlocked so you have to walk about 1/2 mile to gain access. We flushed a hen early then nothing.

This is when I start what I call “prairie sailing”. It is similar to trolling while deep sea fishing. You begin to get mesmerized by the sea of grass, the random movement of the dogs, and the boredom... Your mind begins to wander and start thinking of other things and become methodical just walking in the grass. Suddenly wings erupt from the grass and a rooster takes flight. It takes a moment for you to stop staring like a lost child when your brain screams rooster!! You fumble with the gun. Safety doesn’t get pushed forward a hard awkward pull on the trigger then you remember to push the safety. Sometimes the first shot connects or the second sometime neither as you watch the rooster power away..

This happened as we approached the West end of the field. The first rooster was in the edge of my comfort range. I fired off two quick shots. I was reloading and calling the dogs back when the next one broke in front of me. I fumbled with the shotgun again and flubbed an easy shot. Two roosters four shots and not a bird in hand.

We started cutting back across the field when the dogs got birdy again. My Springer worked right of me my lab left. Now comes the dilemma which dog to watch.. My Springer stops turns and pounces. A rooster explodes at his feet. My first shot goes off without my head down on the stock. Second shot I struggle with the second trigger (still trying to get used to my new SxS). I lose momentum in my swing and I am clearly behind the bird when the left barrel booms. He flies away unscathed.

We continue back towards the truck when the dogs get going again. This time I was on point when the rooster flushed. Muscle memory took over and the rooster dropped at the shot. Finally!
We jumped one more rooster out of range.

Headed to some other fields that had birds last weekend. Of course the birds were right where we parked and on exiting the truck they burst from cover. Nice to see birds flush.
We drove by a few more fields that we thought might work out only to find other hunters.

Our last stop held two birds. The first bird jumped close to the road just as a car was passing by. So no shot. The second jumped out of the ditch almost in front of the our parked truck. The bird flushed but there were no shot opportunities for me. He flew up and right towards my hunting partner. One shot and the bird crashed. The dogs were tired as were we so the day was called and time to head home.

We saw about 20 birds in total both days. We covered a lot of foot miles along the way. Not terribly impressive but I think the colder weather is bunching them up. So we should start finding more birds. That will be a good thing come CO/KS openers.
They are working hard and heavy on harvest but I’m sure there will be pockets of standing corn.
The quail were a nice surprise as they have been absent for year.

I'm looking forward to the cool weather they are predicting for the weekend. I think it will certainly help.

Tremendous insight. Thank you for the details. Heading out this weekend with the hope we can experience some action. We are prepared to do some walking.

Back