nebraska bird numbers

cockrocker

Hello all. I am new to the board, not new to the upland game though, just been out of commission for a while. I am planning on a trip here in the next couple of weeks, and am planning on hunting the SE part of Neb around Beatrice and am wondering what the bird numbers are like this year. I may also drive farther up the line as my cousin is in Brookings SD and we have a bit of his uncles ranch to hunt along with his neighbors land, but he is saying the birds there are down and he had to head about 2hrs west to get into some good numbers. Any comments will be appreciated. My schedule is very open, just me and the dog, so I can zig left or zag right at a moments notice so this should be a great trip. thanks for any input

I'm originally from Clatonia (15 miles NW of Beatrice) and unfortunately I have to say that the bird numbers are pretty dismal around the area. We have had some luck in previous years a little farther South and East near the KS and Missouri border in the Falls City Area, but you will walk a lot to see a few birds anywhere in Southeast NE. Turkeys and deer are another matter however. They are everywhere.

It's strange, growing up we always had decent luck pheasant hunting around the area but getting a deer took some hard work, and turkey's barely existed. Now it's just the opposite.

Good Luck and have a great hunt.

thanks bnz. I talked to my buddy up there and he said exactly what you said about the turkey and deer....in fact he sent me a pic of the buck he's got picked out for the opener and it is a dandy. He did say he has some nice areas that do have a few birds but he said it was spotty at best this year. they saw 8 roosters in one draw on the opener so hopefully i will find "my" lucky draw. I originally grew up hunting wild birds in Wash state and that is waaaaaay more walking than shooting there, so I expect to work hard for birds. I actually don't think I would enjoy the 3birds in an hour and out more than once in my life anyhow!!:)

Guess I'll have to spring for a turkey tag also and take advantage of whats out there.

thanks for the response

In that case you should have a nice time. It is really pretty country and if you are polite and ask, you may get let on to some nice private land as well. The CRP-MAP (walk-in) land is also generally really good cover, but it sometimes really gets pounded, especially this early in the season. If you get the chance, Risky's in Beatrice also serves a really nice Bourbon Steak:thumbsup:.

Have a good one.

Back