NE Opener.

What is it, afraid to answer my question? I am guessing a center pivot. That is what they are called, in Nebraska, here in Montana....never , ever heard them referred to as a "corn circle".

What is it, afraid to answer my question? I am guessing a center pivot. That is what they are called, in Nebraska, here in Montana....never , ever heard them referred to as a "corn circle".
Must be a regional thing. Lol or maybe they're just talking down to me when a farmer calls it a corn circle in kansas.

More then one son, more then one.....by the way , what is a "corn circle"? LMAO.
Will you get me lined up to hunt with your farming and ranching friends who have birds all over their places? Yeah, didn't think so. What's the point? To tell all of us hapless schlubs actually hunting in Nebraska that you know where birds are and we don't? And all of that from 1000 miles away in Montana? You can keep your glowing bird reports to yourself thank you. Not helping us out at all.

Saw several NE license plates at the motel where these folks breasted out their birds which is illegal. Called the local game warden and not sure if he looked into it or not. That is plain ass lazy and wasteful IMO.
What part of breasting birds is illegal? Not talking shit or starting shit, but I'm just curious what you meant by that. Are you referring to wanton waste? I've only ever just breasted my birds. I'm not eating the leg meat/shoe leather and I've never been one for eating the heart, etc.

What part of breasting birds is illegal? Not talking shit or starting shit, but I'm just curious what you meant by that. Are you referring to wanton waste? I've only ever just breasted my birds. I'm not eating the leg meat/shoe leather and I've never been one for eating the heart, etc.
Seriously have you never read the regulations for upland hunting hunting in Nebraska?? What you are doing is illegal just don't get caught.

I'm from Minnesota and have only been to Nebraska bird hunting once. I read the regs before coming yes but I guess that part never really stood out to me.

A follow up to this, I just read the regulations and I don't see anything spelling out that breasting a bird is wasteful. It says it's unlawful to waste game yes. But without being more specific, I don't read that as breasting is illegal.

If you're referring to needing a wing and head attached for identification, yes you need that.

In my experience, every pheasant hunting state says you need identification attached. Depending on the state this can be a foot (leg), or a fully feathered wing or a fully feathered head attached. Check the regs for where you are hunting. NE regs say head or one leg attached for identification purposes while in the field or returning home". KS regs say " Pheasants in possession for transportation must retain intact a foot, plumage, or some part that will determine sex." SD says "the head, a fully feathered wing or a foot."

Once you get them to your home domicile, you can process as you like.

In my experience, every pheasant hunting state says you need identification attached. Depending on the state this can be a foot (leg), or a fully feathered wing or a fully feathered head attached. Check the regs for where you are hunting. NE regs say head or one leg attached for identification purposes while in the field or returning home". KS regs say " Pheasants in possession for transportation must retain intact a foot, plumage, or some part that will determine sex." SD says "the head, a fully feathered wing or a foot."

Once you get them to your home domicile, you can process as you like.
Right and I agree. I just don't necessarily see that as wasteful. The way I breast my birds I end up with 1 leg and a wing attached.

I think there is a good possibility that Iowa will kill more roosters than Kansas this year with a lot less hunters.

As an update, this prediction was accurate. Iowa havested 299K roosters and Kansas harvested 295k. 62K people hunted pheasants in Iowa. 78K people hunted pheasants in KS.

Back