ND Info

HS Strut

I've ben hunting SD last 6 years and have the itch to drive a little further and see if I can get into some Sharpies, Huns as well as phesants.
Not looking for anybody's spot? Wondering if anybody has any advice for first timer? Do the areas around Mott or Wing get a lot of pressure? Should I go farther from a town like Bismark?

I'm curious, If hunting October 15-22, should I expect to see a lot of hunters? I've been hunting the Mitchell area in SD and there are aa lot of birds but a lot of hunters to match.

You will see plenty of phez hunters between Hettinger and Mott. If you go earlier for sharpies and huns you may not see any other hunters at all

Sharptails are pretty much anywhere in the state that has decent habitat (which is usually shorter grass/cover than pheasants like), but in my experience are tough to target by the time pheasant season opens (very flighty). Have never really hunted around the Mott/far SW area with its reputation as being mostly leased or hard to access ground. Best bets for huns are going to be the northern tier of the state or SW since those areas still have decent amounts of small grain and I still wouldn't expect to see a lot. They're found throughout the state but mostly incidental harvests. I hunted about 40 days this fall in the central part of the state and believe I took 1 shot at a hun this year.

Sharptails are pretty much anywhere in the state that has decent habitat (which is usually shorter grass/cover than pheasants like), but in my experience are tough to target by the time pheasant season opens (very flighty). Have never really hunted around the Mott/far SW area with its reputation as being mostly leased or hard to access ground. Best bets for huns are going to be the northern tier of the state or SW since those areas still have decent amounts of small grain and I still wouldn't expect to see a lot. They're found throughout the state but mostly incidental harvests. I hunted about 40 days this fall in the central part of the state and believe I took 1 shot at a hun this year.
wow, you either have a great job with some days off or you are retired?

12 week season (15 if you count the september part of grouse/partridge). Try to run out after work once or twice a week + some long weekends. Not too hard when you can hunt within 20 minutes of your house.

Many of us are jealous of your local opportunities. That's how our dogs get better and memorable. Learn something on every bird.
Zoops, you are are the provider.

I've ben hunting SD last 6 years and have the itch to drive a little further and see if I can get into some Sharpies, Huns as well as phesants.
Not looking for anybody's spot? Wondering if anybody has any advice for first timer? Do the areas around Mott or Wing get a lot of pressure? Should I go farther from a town like Bismark?

I'm curious, If hunting October 15-22, should I expect to see a lot of hunters? I've been hunting the Mitchell area in SD and there are aa lot of birds but a lot of hunters to match.
One issue with hunting oct 15th is a lot of crop will still be up in ND. For sure Corn will be, and probably Sunflowers and Maybe Beans. We got a real late start to planting in spring and everything was late. just something to think about.

Jim

I grew up south of Wing. The Wing/Turtle Lake area is a great starting point. Lots of PLOTS land. ND has no school on October 20-21 so this will equate to more hunters for sure. I anticipate good numbers of all three this fall based on what I have seen.

Id go later . Its a world of difference when the majority of the crops are off. If it were me looking for huns and sharpies , id go west of Bismarck and north of I94.

Back