NC Report Faulk / Spink

Hockeybob

Spent the last week on private land in Faulk and Spink county’s.
Here is a snapshot of what we saw. We have hunted same land last 15 years. 2017 was the worst year we ever had as bird numbers were terrible. 2018 is better.

1. Birds are up about 15-20%.
2. You had to hunt near corn and water.
3. Still lots of standing corn but was coming out pretty fast.
4. We averaged 2.5 birds per guy. In years past, we would have limits by 3pm.
5. First day all had lots of orange on and averaged 1 bird per guy. Ditched the orange and our blockers success went way up.
6. Lots of birds not coming out of corn until after shooting hours. Weather was nice high 50’s and sunny. Almost too warm.
7. Public land hunters at the bird cleaning station were really struggling. Bringing in less than 1bird per guy.
They were understandably very frustrated. Told us they were driving up to 2 hours from where we all stayed.
Hoping for a mild winter and a little wetter spring than this year.

Nice report - thanks.

"Ditched the Orange" - if I'm blocking, I want the walkers to see me! Taking the orange off is also illegal, but understand why you would want to be invisible.

Nice report - thanks.

"Ditched the Orange" - if I'm blocking, I want the walkers to see me! Taking the orange off is also illegal, but understand why you would want to be invisible.

Hi JB,
I don't believe orange is required for upland hunting in SD.

You may be right - it's a big game requirement in SD. I always assumed it applied to upland hunting...

However, not wearing orange could be hazardous to your health!

Back