NC private vs. NW WIHA

Nitro

Good afternoon all,

I have two choices for opening weekend this year. I can head up Northwest of Salina to hunt on private ground or I can head to more prime pheasant country and hunt WIHA. I am looking for some input on which decision would be prefered among the hunters on this web page.

Opening weekend or holiday weekend that's a no-brainer. When there is less hunting pressure I might go for good WIHA over marginal private land. But when the crowds are out, private is definitely the way to go.

I agree that the private land is the way to go but, if you can hit some prime WIHA before the crowds get to them then it can be productive as well. Maybe the 1st day WIHA and the 2nd day private land. Regardless of where you choose to hunt good luck..

thanks

That is what I was thinking but I just wanted a few other opinions. I know from experience that WIHA hunting on a busy weekend can be crazy....

That is what I was thinking but I just wanted a few other opinions. I know from experience that WIHA hunting on a busy weekend can be crazy....

It can be terrible. I actually get an upset stomach from the anxiety while I'm waiting to hunt WIHA on opening day. I just don't like the idea of fighting other people for a given field. I really don't like getting up 2 hours earlier than necessary to sit and wait by the field, just to have some jerks roll up at the last minute to "join" us. What can you do? Enough ranting, stick close to the area where you have private access, so that when you get frustrated with the WIHA, you don't waste much time getting to the next field.

Opening weekend sound like opening gun deer season here in Mo. on public areas. thats why most deer hunters here do the lease thing. here with bird hunt'n opening day will be on a sun. so the ca area i hut will have a few hunters, mostly the same ones, they seem to be less of us every year.
with the rowds there that is why i am comming out the 16-19(nov) hopefully during the week the walk in s won't be as bad.
I assume these groups that just show up probably have no dogs, hunt only opening weekend and want to join you

Afternoon gents...

Nitro:
I agree w/ all...that your private land access is the best choice.
Use that as your base and then see what the pressure is like in the area.

Also...since KDWP is forecasting NW Kansas to be the hot spot...that's where the opening weekend armies will be!!

KS Brit: you are right on about the anxiety that stems from opening day madness!

Growing up in Nebraska...same thing.

I prefer to hunt Southeast KS (quail only) for the opener and then venture north and west (for phez) after Thanksgiving.

Best if luck to all, be safe and introduce someone new to the outdoors!

BH68

It can be terrible. I actually get an upset stomach from the anxiety while I'm waiting to hunt WIHA on opening day. I just don't like the idea of fighting other people for a given field. I really don't like getting up 2 hours earlier than necessary to sit and wait by the field, just to have some jerks roll up at the last minute to "join" us. What can you do? Enough ranting, stick close to the area where you have private access, so that when you get frustrated with the WIHA, you don't waste much time getting to the next field.

I never hunt weekends for exactly the reasons listed above. One of the primary reasons I hunt is for the peace it instills in me.

lefty

Back