NC KS report

I hunted a couple days mid-week last week in NC KS, and I was also shocked by the hunting pressure in the area. More than I've ever seen during the week. There would be so many trucks in an area, I would go 20+ miles to another area only to find more crowds. I definitely saw very few birds, but my hope is that the opening weekend crowds pushed them off the WIHA and they haven't returned yet. In the two days, I'm sure I saw more hunters than birds.

I'm not claiming those areas as "mine" or anything like that. They obviously are for anyone to use, but I think it is a fair statement to say that there has been an uptick in hunting pressure in that region based on what I saw. I hope the pressure dies down a bit as the season progresses.

Part of the adventure of hunting, for me, is not knowing exactly where I am going and kind of making up my day's hunt on the fly. That's the nice thing about WIHA/public land. It allows me to bounce around and figuring out the plan as I go. Some days I get into birds, and some days I end up playing hopscotch with other groups of hunters. That's just how it goes...

Good luck to anyone out there chasing wild birds. Definitely going to be a challenge in some areas!

It's the first two weeks of the season, other than last Saturday, the weather's been awfully nice. Let Thanksgiving pass and some foul weather arrive and the crowds will thin out. Hope everyone finds enough birds for the dog and be safe...even you ooser's.:D

should thin out after TG.......i imagine there is some milo still to cut too.

Lots!!! We didn't find any quail on two of our spots in NC KS on Saturday, and those spots usually have at least 2 coveys each. I don't think it's a coincidence that there are huge fields of standing milo directly adjacent to those spots.

Of course the 30 mph NNE wind didn't help the dogs much.

this is going to be one of those years, where late season hunting is going to be the best. quail and pheasants quickly learn that uncut corn/milo fields are a safe place to spend the day.

I walked 11.2 miles on Sunday for the coveys I found.

My original post was a knee jerk reaction to what I witnessed on Sunday. I NEVER shoot a covey down. I harvest 1 or 2 birds and move on. I don't hunt the same coveys over and over. I go try to find new ones. I respect the birds and even more so, I appreciate their existence and I want them to flourish for future generations. When I witness folks who disrespect KS's resources it makes me fuming mad. While I'm sure there are in-state hunters that do this, so far I have only seen it was out of state hunters. That's just my experience so far. Everyone will dog pile on me for dogging on out of state hunters but I don't care, the actions I witness speak louder than any words on a forum.

I'm just flat pissed at how people treat the land and the birds. If you don't fall into the category I'm complaining about then thank you for being one of those people.

My sentiments exactly! To have a successful hunt you don’t have to have limits. Don’t even have to kill a bird. When I had some young pointers I hunted this huge tract of public land that nobody ever hunted. It had 4-5 nice coveys on it. I used those for training birds almost every weekend. Bet I only killed 3-4 from those coveys in 2 seasons. But those “hunts” were successful for me. I enjoyed the dog work.

I

also, good idea to throw in a trash bag, when i walk i pick up cans, trash in my vest....i can usually almost fill a bag by end of the day.

Back