nc bird man

nc bird man

Kansas all week

Kansas all week

Drove the 20 hours to Kansas last week arrived Sunday afternoon. Two of us and 3 pointing dogs. Two dogs less than a year old one a seasoned veteran. Wow did we have a great hunt. Hunted the area around Beloit where we found enough private land to hunt we never made it to Glen Elder. Hunted Some WIHA but mostly private land that had been lightly hunted. We found birds everywhere we went and lots of them. If there was tall grass anywhere close to MIlo stalks it had pheasants and probably a covey of quail. Tons of hens--we could have loaded the truck up with those. Enough roosters we had some shooting each day. Our best day was Thursday light snow, no wind and overcast. We killed seven roosters with multiple points by the young dogs. My dogs exceeded my expectations hunting hard all week with little rest, the big pup being especially courageous and bold.

Our worst half a day we seen 25 pheasants. Our best day we seen well over 75 plus, many a hundred yards out or so. We we're very pleased with the bird numbers. We we're hoping for more quail. We seen apx. one covey a day. They are hard to get to hold in the Milo stalks aren't they.

Thanks for All the info you guys shared to help make my hunt a sucess. I hope you guys that live out there know how precious an area for the future of bird hunting you live in and how fortunate you are to live where you do. Please continue the good fight to keep gamebirds a priority. Thanks for all your help and sharing your great state with us. God Bless!

Nc bird man

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear your hunt was a success! It's always a good thing when the dogs exceed expectations....especially young dogs! I for one do appreciate this wonderful state. I never forget how lucky we are. If you want more quail action, you may want to plan days in 2 different parts of the state for your next trip. Say NC for a couple days of chasing roosters and SE KS for a day or 2 of chasing quail. Yes, they are difficult to get to hold in the milo at times....moreso if they've been educated by hunters. I'm sure the hawks do their part to keep them on their toes as well.

Thanks for the report:cheers:

Hey NC bird man!!! Glad to hear you had a great hunt! do you have prearrainged permission to hunt private land or did you go door to door to get it? I would love to get on some private land around Beloit!!! ~~MATT

I would also like to know how you get private land in that area. I hunt around beloit on public land and didn't do that great this year. Saw some birds but not like you did. I just thought the numbers weren't there but it sounds like they are. Good to hear.

Back