My wallet is a few franklins lighter now

c_d

Every morning and evening we walk along the waterfront here. The pup likes to hunt for the resident rodents in the bushes, and run around. Well, yesterday morning she hops into that first bush and jumps right back out sneezing like there's no tomorrow. oh boy. not a true foxtail, but similar, albeit much softer, was lodged up there pretty good. Vet even found some other seed thing in her ear. jeeeeezz. one good snootful and out fly the dollars to the vet office. hopefully the insurance will cover some of this one. I can only imagine this is first of many.

I'm thinking of inventing a muzzle protector kind of thing like guys use in fencing. some sort of mesh to let the air in, but keep the seeds OUT!

you would need that protector for the whole head. Those seeds in my experience get in the eyes and ears just as easy. Yes, they take some Franklin's to get them out of the ears. You cannot see deep enough to get them all. A vet has to do it, which is costly.........Bob

Oh Vet Bills

I went out for opener in NY on October 1st. Got skunked but had a great day and the dog was working beautifully. Two days after that he got sick after breakfast and was acting like he was quite uncomfortable, so a trip to the vet was in order. Turned out to be a stomach blockage, first the vet tried to scope it and lasso the blockage but that wasn't working, so stomach surgery had to be performed. Turned out to be a clump of grass in the entrance to the small intestine. After the surgery and 2 days in ICU the wallet is quite light at this time. I just hope we can get those 18 staples out of his belly and get back to the field soon. The follow up visit is next Tuesday to see if he can return to full activity. I sure hope so, the trip to South Dakota is only a few weeks away. All in all though, I am just glad he is ok. The feeling of having a sick pup is one of the worst feelings ever.
Here is a pic when he got to come home from the hospital.
picture.php

It sure is dangerous out there for our working dogs. It's a wonder they make it through a season.

The thought of grass awns is one that scares the hell out of me. Some nasty, nasty stuff.

It sure is dangerous out there for our working dogs. It's a wonder they make it through a season.

The thought of grass awns is one that scares the hell out of me. Some nasty, nasty stuff.

Yes they are and I can't state it enough. Watch where you run em fellas, and don't be afraid to go to another spot if you see the stuff.

Back