My time of year

COWAN

Well what a great opening weekend. 5 month old pup did very well, good points and limits every day thus far. My Kansas trip looks like it's not going to happen so I guess I'll have to settle with Utah birds for two weeks.

ANOTHER EPIC DAY! Patches came to life once again. ALWAYS trust the dog. She sniffed and sniffed and I grew tired of waiting, but... it payed off. Solid point , I moved in and an older rooster popped up 10 feet away. Smack... fold... rooster in the sack. My second came with some great teamwork. Another long drawn out search. High head, low head, nose to the ground. I went around, Patches went the other way, locks up looking dead at me... then the ground with her eyes only. This went on for about 3-4 seconds an then FLUSH!!! It's fun that pheasants can't take an extended pause. Smack... fold... a quick limit. Not bad for a 5 month old Wirehair in the wind and not much moisture. I'm on a little bit of a high here that only real dedicated Pheasant hunters and dog lovers can fully understand.

No... not really, Utah sucks for pheasant hunting. That's why I try to go to Kansas whenever I can. It used to be outstanding, second only to the rifle deer hunt. I just have sole access to the best habitat in my area and a up-and-coming wonderful wirehair. I am very fortunate and lucky.

Last edited:
The field pic didn't turn out to well. Here's one of Patches in the driver seat of my boat.

Back