My shooting

12 gauge 2 3/4" 4 shot Kent Fast Lead. It isn't the shells.

I did shoot way better then the other 2 guys I was hunting with.😉

12 gauge 2 3/4" 4 shot Kent Fast Lead. It isn't the shells.

I did shoot way better then the other 2 guys I was hunting with.😉

Absolutely could be, that's not a lot of pellets to hold a tight pattern. Unless you are shooting IM/Full i would suspect its a weak pattern density issue. You are clearly hitting them.

I know I am not leading the birds far enough. Shot 3 again today with 3 shots. But 2 of the 3 were not hit hard. We recovered all 3 but 1 was very challenging.
My dog was right behind it running across a bare field. Bird headed back into the cover and dog flipped it and it flew off struggling. Well buddies dogs got into it with a coon at that time so the shit show was on. Found the bird after we finished the rest of the area and came back looking for where we last saw it.
Glad to hear its not only me! Yesterday three for four and two of them at forty plus. Today I shot at least 12 times and only one dead that flew 250 and then skyward to fall dead in the slough. Embarrassing to say the least! I shouldered my gun once after missing a layup and noticed my gun wasn't straight up and down but off about 15 20 degrees to my right?

Wingshooting: " It's an ancient, honorable, and somewhat mysterious occupation to, at once, be both protector and taker of these birds. I'm not quite sure I completely understand it, which is just as well, but I do know that I have to be there every so often to replenish something in me. I'm not sure just what it is, but I know when it's done and done right." Gene Hill, "Shotgunner's Notebook

Glad to hear its not only me! Yesterday three for four and two of them at forty plus. Today I shot at least 12 times and only one dead that flew 250 and then skyward to fall dead in the slough.
I had one of those a few years ago, except he made it 500 yards, flying strong as could be the whole way, until he just went out cold. I learned years ago guiding to watch them until they are out of sight, because a good number of "missed" birds were actually hit and can be recovered with a good dog. This guy crashed into a harvested sunflower field so it was pretty easy to mark him down and walk right to him, dead where he landed. He had one pellet in him, but it had severed the femural artery.

It was a simple crossing shot, so it made me face facts -- my gun did not fit me. The fit seemed fine on the skeet field but in the rush of shooting a wild rooster I was not mounting the same. I needed to fit for the game! Flew it back home with me and bent the stock up a good bit. Now when I miss it is totally on me. :)

I agree it is not your shells. I shoot an ounce of 5's so you prolly have more pellets than I do. I'd say you are most likely fringing them, either because your gun does not quite fit or you are not getting the lead right. Canting does not help.

I would be examing my birds's hits closely. If most hits are low or high that is an indication your fit is off. As for cast -- either your eye lines up on the rib or it doesn't, but you gotta check during your "rooster mount." :)

Last edited:
Back