My last hunt for colorado season

engpointerman

Some of my friends on here know I havent been out like I usually am but writing to brag a little. We started a little late yesterday and where me and cowdog met a year ago jumped nice group of birds. Then started hitting my old honey holes. We shot five with several misses yesterday. Today got started earlier. We bagged 15 today with worse shooting yet. I was amazed at the number of birds for this time of year. The other part was they were grouped up for as nice as the weather was. All of our birds were jumped in good cover then flew into corn fields. I hate walking cornstalks but had great success doing that today. The other strange part was the birds were holding for points in the open stalks. Crazy to me but it worked so dont fight it. Anyway we saw a good 250-300 birds in two days. Good majority were hens which is great for next year. Anyway to whoever is out this next week good luck and pound on some doors.:cheers:

That is great to hear! :thumbsup: I've never had much luck in corn stalks, but may have to turn to them if we aren't finding good bird numbers. I hope to get out one day this week. I hate to see the season coming ot an end, but its been a great one!

Yep that little field of grass has been holding birds all season and dont discount the yucca field up by that big sand dune at the north edge.I get a bird out of there almost every time I walk it.
Good job,I dont know if ill make it back out again this year.

250-300 birds in CO during two days? Must be really good private land is the only way I could see it.

I am always told that same statement bird buster but have 7guys from yesterday to prove it. Most of the key to this is knowing where the concentrations of birds are. You can see a ton of good private ground,But it still boils down to sweet spots. People talk about coveys of quail being in the same place year after year. In some aspects pheasants are the same way. We all know that pheasants have a bigger range. But through my experience they seem to utilize the same little areas through the hunting season. Where they tend to group up. Only thing we were amazed at over the weekend was the weather was great so I didnt think they would be grouped like they were. I am not much of a picture taker but need to so everyone can see that I am not a liar.

I have to agree with Engpointerman, I have seen that many birds on a couple of different weekends this season. You have to find the sweet spot of an area and it doesn't seem to move to much from year to year....Van

Yep the birds are there. They dont come easy for those that dont put in the time and effort to find em. If you think your gonna go out one weekend and see these numbers you would have to be lucky but do your homework, hunt as much as you can, cultivate relationships with some locals (The Main event bar is a good place to start) and its no problem seein 100+ birds a day. You get back what you put in.

Those are crazy numbers, but I believe them. We saw at least 100 birds in a field near Kirk 2nd week of the season. This is my first season hunting birds and I got to say I was frozen solid when we came upon that group of fields and saw all those birds right by the road. Wouldn't you know I didn't see more than 25 birds the entire rest of the season, and most of those were hens. Grand total for me this year...zero. But I had a blast popping my cherry! Will definitely stop by the Main Event before the season next year. Drove by that place at least 2 dozen times.
Just bought a trap thrower to practice for next year.

Bird numbers

Chad,
Glad you finally went out and got some birds. A guy like you needs to come to Utah and hunt pheasants just to get your appreciation back. Honeslty you would have a better chance at finding big foot than a pheasant. Wish you could have made it to Arizona with us this year, it was AWESOME. I will shoot you over some pictures if I ever get around to downloading them.

Back