My Lab is laughing !!

Nasty-G

I have a 8 month old French Britt who now has her ear hair full of ragweed burrs !!! I have a grooming rake like thingie with which I"ll pull off her ears before the burrs !! My smooth black Lab is laughing I think !! Suggestions?

Looks like that's the answer.

Definitely! Get a decent one and keep it properly cleaned and oiled. The only time mine ever gives me fits is when I neglect it, like put it away dirty. Dog hair gets jammed up inside it and then it doesn't work properly... But if you take care of your clippers, the job goes 10X faster and the dog learns to enjoy being clipped.

One thing I'll mention about my history with dog grooming is that some of them take a few times to get warmed up to the clippers. Some of them balk hard at first and you have to go really slow. And the ears is one area they don't especially enjoy having done, but it's a necessity.

Anyway, just take your time at first and be patient if the dog is anxious. After a couple haircuts, they all seem to come around and think of it as a "clipper massage" instead of a haircut, and they look forward to getting clipped. My Brit Junie was absolutely terrified of the clippers her first time, but now she sees them and comes running for her quarterly haircuts.

I use horse trimmers I got from Orscheln. If you're doing the whole dog and not just the feathering, you will want more than cheap-o clippers.

Clippers are a choice but you should also try a product called Cowboy Magic. It is a product that horse owners use to get burrs out of horses manes and tails. I have a Springer and use it on her when she gets into the burrs. It comes in a 10 ounce bottle you squeeze a little out and work it in with your hands and then the burrs pull or comb right out. You can get it at Mills Fleet Farm or Theisens in the horse department.

I use "leave in conditioner"

Clippers are a choice but you should also try a product called Cowboy Magic. It is a product that horse owners use to get burrs out of horses manes and tails. I have a Springer and use it on her when she gets into the burrs. It comes in a 10 ounce bottle you squeeze a little out and work it in with your hands and then the burrs pull or comb right out. You can get it at Mills Fleet Farm or Theisens in the horse department.

Could be any brand just a conditioner that your wife uses when she washes her hair. Burrs comb right out.

Back