My hunting buddy

Bob Peters

In daydreams my mind wanders between the past and future. I wonder, will I always pheasant hunt? Where will I be at in 15 years? Then I relive hunts of seasons gone by. I wasn't much past being green as Irish grass. Me and Skye were down in Iowa and had one rooster in the bag that morning. Many hours and miles later and we had nary another shot fired or rooster seen. My confidence was shaky, but I didn't try to show it. Skye, well she never loses confidence that she'll scent a rooster soon, whether it be switch grass or marshy morass. I had no idea what to do, or where to do it. On a massive complex we wandered, and near a gravel section road, I planned to walk west within 20 yards of the gravel, maybe get lucky and push a rooster against the edge for a flush. Well I made it about 10 steps and Skye kinda left me and jogged up to the road, stopped, and looked back at me. I did a few light whistles, a few quiet name calls, etc. etc. There she stood in the middle of the road, locked eyes with me for 5 seconds, and then slowly jogged over the other side out of site. I was mildly frustrated that she didn't want to listen and follow my plan. I hustled through and up the ditch, then planted my feet on the far shoulder of the road. I looked for that golden retriever who had been running so happy barefoot and naked across the prairie all day. She was almost down the other side, and in the waning evening light I saw her wake in the thick horsetail as she descended the grade into a low spot, still at a jogging pace. To add context (if you're a longtime hunter), I didn't know much and had seen even less at this timepoint. Imagine you're a young/new hunter, for you've experienced this too, early in your days afield. The dog although gone from sight was easily tracked by the movement of the vegetation. I saw it pause, and then shake a little. Something must have smelled good right there, for suddenly she was moving again, and with a pace and rapidity that I could not believe. Straight through the stalks, then to the left, a circle 8, a backtrack, my eyes could hardly keep up with it all. I stood there dumbfounded wondering what was going on when finally with her dogged determination, athleticism, and powerful nose Skye closed the gap, and in a split second a rooster came screaming out with an acceleration that would make a quail blush, a dove mourn, and a ruffled grouse hand over his crown. The only part of my memory that is blurry, is where the muzzle was. This fledgling hunter just threw the gun up, looked at the bird, and pulled the trigger. A few feathers floated on the breeze as the boom subsided and I saw him land in light grass, motionless. Being below in thick cover she wasn't able to mark the fall. Running around frantically searching, I gently called to her a few times and gave her the honor she so deserved of picking up the bird that she had found and flushed. Never shy in this regard, she scooped him up, sat on her hinds and breathed heavily with an air of triumph in her instincts and abilities. That crisp autumn air, feeling the sweat drip down my back, being alone out there with my favorite dog in the world, it's a memory etched into my mind that'll never leave. I relive it often. Turning back to the future, will I always pheasant hunt? The easy and obvious answer is yes. But I'm not sure how I'll be able to do it without her. I don't have a lot of experience, but I can say, there's something special about that first dog you really get out there hunting with. Maybe I've got it all wrong, as I'm looking at it through a single perspective, but I feel like I hit the lottery with her. I think a lot of people here have hit the lottery, because there's a lot of great dogs on this forum. The wonders of pheasant hunting are hard to describe to people that haven't been before.
20201204_130706.jpg

The rush of watching a dog kick it up a notch after winding bird scent and the flush of a rooster shortly later is something other than another hunter could understand.

There are few items that could eventually inhibit my ability to upland hunt.

My health. Luckily I'm young and in pretty good shape. But no one can defy Father Time.

Habitat/land to hunt, whether that be public or private. Everyone here is aware of a constantly-altered landscape. Less grassland, more houses, more agriculture. None of these factors help pheasants or quail. Weather plays a role secondarily, but we don't have control over that factor.

I hope to hunt again next season, assuming the above factors are mostly in my favor.

In daydreams my mind wanders between the past and future. I wonder, will I always pheasant hunt? Where will I be at in 15 years? Then I relive hunts of seasons gone by. I wasn't much past being green as Irish grass. Me and Skye were down in Iowa and had one rooster in the bag that morning. Many hours and miles later and we had nary another shot fired or rooster seen. My confidence was shaky, but I didn't try to show it. Skye, well she never loses confidence that she'll scent a rooster soon, whether it be switch grass or marshy morass. I had no idea what to do, or where to do it. On a massive complex we wandered, and near a gravel section road, I planned to walk west within 20 yards of the gravel, maybe get lucky and push a rooster against the edge for a flush. Well I made it about 10 steps and Skye kinda left me and jogged up to the road, stopped, and looked back at me. I did a few light whistles, a few quiet name calls, etc. etc. There she stood in the middle of the road, locked eyes with me for 5 seconds, and then slowly jogged over the other side out of site. I was mildly frustrated that she didn't want to listen and follow my plan. I hustled through and up the ditch, then planted my feet on the far shoulder of the road. I looked for that golden retriever who had been running so happy barefoot and naked across the prairie all day. She was almost down the other side, and in the waning evening light I saw her wake in the thick horsetail as she descended the grade into a low spot, still at a jogging pace. To add context (if you're a longtime hunter), I didn't know much and had seen even less at this timepoint. Imagine you're a young/new hunter, for you've experienced this too, early in your days afield. The dog although gone from sight was easily tracked by the movement of the vegetation. I saw it pause, and then shake a little. Something must have smelled good right there, for suddenly she was moving again, and with a pace and rapidity that I could not believe. Straight through the stalks, then to the left, a circle 8, a backtrack, my eyes could hardly keep up with it all. I stood there dumbfounded wondering what was going on when finally with her dogged determination, athleticism, and powerful nose Skye closed the gap, and in a split second a rooster came screaming out with an acceleration that would make a quail blush, a dove mourn, and a ruffled grouse hand over his crown. The only part of my memory that is blurry, is where the muzzle was. This fledgling hunter just threw the gun up, looked at the bird, and pulled the trigger. A few feathers floated on the breeze as the boom subsided and I saw him land in light grass, motionless. Being below in thick cover she wasn't able to mark the fall. Running around frantically searching, I gently called to her a few times and gave her the honor she so deserved of picking up the bird that she had found and flushed. Never shy in this regard, she scooped him up, sat on her hinds and breathed heavily with an air of triumph in her instincts and abilities. That crisp autumn air, feeling the sweat drip down my back, being alone out there with my favorite dog in the world, it's a memory etched into my mind that'll never leave. I relive it often. Turning back to the future, will I always pheasant hunt? The easy and obvious answer is yes. But I'm not sure how I'll be able to do it without her. I don't have a lot of experience, but I can say, there's something special about that first dog you really get out there hunting with. Maybe I've got it all wrong, as I'm looking at it through a single perspective, but I feel like I hit the lottery with her. I think a lot of people here have hit the lottery, because there's a lot of great dogs on this forum. The wonders of pheasant hunting are hard to describe to people that haven't been before.
View attachment 8114
You put to words what many of us feel....well done !!

View attachment 8114
Very well written and very well felt, thanks for the vivid picture; I can relate to every word.

Well put. What a fantastic memory. As for Skye, it may seem like you got super lucky. A once in a lifetime dog. And she probably does have some of those traits naturally. But you're hunting what most would consider a lot, & it's obvious you're doing many things right. I'd guess that has much more impact than luck. I remember thinking no dog could possibly measure up to Walt, my first. But lo & behold, they HAVE measured up, probably not by accident. And I've surprised myself by loving each one just as much as the last. Maybe even more, if that's possible??? I think that's just what people like us do. We love hunting pheasants more each season, & magically, our love for our dog increases right along with it. It's a blessing we're grateful for & a curse we somehow find acceptable. It'd all be so much easier if they'd just outlive us.

Well put. What a fantastic memory. As for Skye, it may seem like you got super lucky. A once in a lifetime dog. And she probably does have some of those traits naturally. But you're hunting what most would consider a lot, & it's obvious you're doing many things right. I'd guess that has much more impact than luck. I remember thinking no dog could possibly measure up to Walt, my first. But lo & behold, they HAVE measured up, probably not by accident. And I've surprised myself by loving each one just as much as the last. Maybe even more, if that's possible??? I think that's just what people like us do. We love hunting pheasants more each season, & magically, our love for our dog increases right along with it. It's a blessing we're grateful for & a curse we somehow find acceptable. It'd all be so much easier if they'd just outlive us.
I don’t know if i love hunting more now than I did when I was younger but I certainly love the dogs more and it seems to have an effect on them as they seem to be getting better as I age. My dad was a firm believer in dogs belong outside. Said you would ruin them and make them soft if you allowed them to live inside. He taught me many things, but this is bullshit.

Back