My Gundog First Aid Kit for Western ND

Labs

Just some food for thought. Here are the contents of my gundog first aid kit, which is tailored for hunting in western North Dakota. I have one compartment in my Tenzing Upland Vest/Pack reserved for this kit.

Two tubes of EMT Gel: This stuff is a modern miracle substance that quickly stops bleeding in even huge cuts. There are numerous stories of this stuff controlling life threatening bleeding long enough to get the dog to a vet. Costly but worth ever penny.

Super Glue: For those small cuts that are so common to dogs and hunters alike.

4x4 sterile gauze pads: To cover and help seal cuts.

Two rolls of Vet Wrap: This stuff is great to hold bandages in place. Be careful not to get it too tight, it's easy to do.

Pint of Rubbing Alcohol: Will quickly cool an overheated dog when poured over it's belly. Can also be used to disinfect.

Benadryl: We hunt in rattlesnake country. If your dog gets snakebit, the most immediate threat to it's life is swelling, and Benadryl is the answer. The dose is 1Mg per pound of body weight, the standard pill size is 25Mg.

Snare Wire Cutter: Available from trapping supply outfits. Coyote and fox snare sets are common during late season in ND. If your dog gets caught in one it's struggles will tighten it, and you will have only moments to cut it free. Standard side cutters are entirely inadequate to cut snare wire, which is made of 7 bundles of small diameter wire strands bundled together. You may never need it but if you do, no other tool will do the job.

Gerber "Dime" Multi-Tool: This little tool is a dog handlers best friend. It is light, takes up little space in your vest, but it's pliers are the perfect size & shape to pull larger thorns and porcupine quills (I used mine to pull a dozen or so quills out of my YLM Harley's chin during a hunt last weekend), and it's tweezers are perfect for pulling small thorns out of dogs and hunters alike. Has small scissors that can be used to trim hair from around a cut before super gluing it.

Paperback Manual of Canine First Aid: Don't remember where I got mine, but it's covers most issues you could encounter in the field and is water resistant.

Last edited:
I have found it easier to bring a veterinarian, luckily my vet is also a hunting buddy. But when he isn't with I bring much of the same stuff but include a thermometer, stapler with staple remover, and NSAIDs (Rimidal). And Lots of eye wash solution!

Back