My favorite hunt this season!

nstric

Took my 6 year old daughter, Kate (middle child of three), out this morning for some daddy-daughter time. Knowing her attention would quickly wane, and physically most fields would be a struggle, I decided to head NW towards Bayard. I have access to a big block 20 acre piece up there.

45 minutes in the truck passed rather quickly, filled with random chatter and thoughts I think can only come from my daughter. We talked safety, how we'd follow Gunner in the field, and said a few prayers for good fortune.

Upon arrival, my heart sank a bit as the field was nearly surrounded by standing corn. I thought for sure that it would be out by now, as the farmer was picking on Opening Weekend. Nonetheless, we park, prepare, and step foot into the field.

We enter from the north, with the wind out of the NW. Gunner naturally wants to work into the wind, but I call him towards the south edge of the parcel so that Kate can walk the mowed area with me working parallel just north of her, in the grass.

We're walking west; Gunner is quartering happily with wind across his nose. He works his way north, then south, back north and so on . . . all along inching west as Kate and I are walking. There's just something magical about reaching the point with your hunting dog where you don't have to say a thing in the field. He just knows . . . and you just know . . . what and why the other is doing as he is. Almost like a really good dance partner!

We reach the SW corner of the field about 10 minutes into the hunt. No birds yet, but Gunner is showing signs of interest. There's life in this field!

All three of us now turn north, walking the far west edge. Kate on the edge, and me 10 yards or so into the grass.

Gunner's beeper collar then goes off, only 20-30 yards ahead of me, slightly east. I ask Kate to sit tight and hurry towards the sound. Just as I'm close enough to make out Gunner, I take note of the direction of his eyes, and move in. Up flushes Mr Rooster, I shoulder the gun, slowly squeeze the trigger, and drop the bird. Gunner locates him in the big blue stem, I let out a sigh of relief, smile, and cut through the grass towards Kate to show her our prize. She was more excited than me! The joy.

Kate insisted on carrying the rooster back to the truck. She was a trooper, eventually having to cut through the tall grass, falling many, many times, but always insistant that she had things covered. I smiled as she cradled the bird, as if she was carrying a puppy. The moment was not lost on me; I purposely paused to reflect on my good fortunes. Not just for the day's hunt, but for all that I've been given.

We'd prayed for one rooster, managed exactly that, so our hunt was done. Gunner pointed a few more times as we were working our way to the truck, but I chose to walk along Kate's side as opposed to rush away in attempt to flush whatever had Gunner's nose. Gunner seemed okay with that.

45 minute drive, 15 minute hunt, 45 minute drive home. Worth evey second invested!

Kate and Gunner so happy!
232323232%7Ffp%3B47%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D366956765%3A338nu0mrj

Longest tail feather so far this season.
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A2%3Enu%3D3669%3E465%3E76%3B%3E275%3A46585%3C247ot1lsi

Nice spurs!
232323232%7Ffp%3B%3A3%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D3669567659338nu0mrj

Last edited:
What a touching story and photo. Looks like another pheasant hunter in the making. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice story and very smart daddy. Keep it short and sweet and to the point. Great job and Gunner deserves an extra treat!

reminds me of when i 1st took my step daughter hunting for the 1st time, now she is in the army and my favorite person to go chase birds with. i love that story and love the pics. you sir are a lucky man.:coolpics:

You sir have one cute little girl. That picture is priceless and one I am sure you will cherish for many years.

Awesome, just awesome! What a wonderful day.:10sign:

Nothing to say but Awesome!

My greatest memories are from the days afield with my sons! Enjoy! Thanks for sharing!:)

My daughter just turned 1 today. I cant wait for the day I can take her with. Great story.:thumbsup:

Nate - I think you know how much I enjoy reading your hunt stories. I now have two of them on my all time favorites list.

The one above and your and Gunner final hunt of the year either last season or the season before, two classic stories that should probably be in a PF article some time. Glad to see you getting out some and that work is not holding you down too much, keep those priorities in line.

Nate - I think you know how much I enjoy reading your hunt stories. I now have two of them on my all time favorites list.

The one above and your and Gunner final hunt of the year either last season or the season before, two classic stories that should probably be in a PF article some time. Glad to see you getting out some and that work is not holding you down too much, keep those priorities in line.

Happy to read you enjoy!
:cheers:

Back