My Experience with Steel and Bismuth this Season

John Singer

I stopped using lead shot for my hunting several years ago. I use two guns for my pheasant hunting.

I started the seasons in both Minnesota and Iowa with my 16 gauge Stevens 5100 sxs. I started with Hevishot bismuth in sizes #6 (right barrel) and #4 (left barrel). Using this combination, I shot and recovered 5 birds with six shots. I then put the bismuth away and switched to steel. I shot 7/8 oz reloads of #4 steel in my right barrel and #3 steel in the left barrel. I then proceeded to shoot and recover 4 pheasants without a miss (#4 right barrel).

I spent the rest of the November hunting with steel shot. In December, I switched to my 12 gauge Winchester Model 59 semiauto with modified choke. I used both Kent 1 1/16 oz #5 bismuth and reloads of 1 1/16 oz #2 steel.

I shot a total of 24 roosters this season. I missed a few. Most of my misses were longer shots although I did miss a few layups.

I found two things remarkable this season.

1. I could not distinguish between the effectiveness of steel and bismuth.

2. I did not lose a single bird that I knocked down.

Last season was not like this. I had many more misses last season. I think that I missed 7 or 8 before I got my first bird. Also, I lost several early in the season in Iowa.

Good results. I also have a model 59 Winchester given to me from my granddad. I've often carried it when I'm a place where lead can be used. I didn't think they were safe using steel shot due to the light weight barrel that is sleeved?

Good results. I also have a model 59 Winchester given to me from my granddad. I've often carried it when I'm a place where lead can be used. I didn't think they were safe using steel shot due to the light weight barrel that is sleeved?

I have been using mine with steel shot for several years. I use 1 1/8 oz or less of shot at around 1400 fps.

The barrel is titanium steel wrapped with fiberglass. It is stronger than a fluid steel barrel.

I would not use a Model 59 with the Versa-choke because barrel harmonics changes the point of impact. I use a fixed choke modified for pheasants and cylinder bore for grouse/woodcock.

If you take and make good shots, the type of shot isn't too important.
Easier said than done.

The primary reason I use the ammo I do is because of the velocity. Its gets there faster. I am not taking shots that are more than about 25-30 yards anyways so high velocity masks my mistakes when I fail to lead a bird properly. If I was taking longer shots, maybe it wouldn't matter.

I respectfully disagree that higher velocity will make up for any shooting mistake.
Its simple physics. A higher velocity round gets there faster. Therefore if I fail lead the bird when using a higher velocity as opposed to a lower velocity, quite often the higher velocity makes a difference.

What I should have posted earlier is that "in some cases a higher velocity will make up for shooting behind a bird at a specific distance."

Since I primarily do most of my shooting at a close range, quite often I don't even need to lead the bird when it gets up. And quite often it folds right up. This is also the reason I use an Improved Cylinder Choke instead of a Modified one.

I sincerely doubt that a crossing bird at 30 yards or less would require a noticeable or significant difference in lead for say, two shells one with a MV of 1200 fps and another with MV of 1500 fps.

A going away or quartering away bird would make any difference even less significant.

Just enough difference between a kill and cripple at 30 yds on a crossing bird with equivalent patterns. You are probably not shooting ahead of the bird. Just physics. All in the swing and experience.

I sincerely doubt that a crossing bird at 30 yards or less would require a noticeable or significant difference in lead for say, two shells one with a MV of 1200 fps and another with MV of 1500 fps.

A going away or quartering away bird would make any difference even less significant.
It may not. But if I have a choice, I'm taking the high velocity round. Its a variable I can control in the event I shoot slightly behind the bird, which we're all guilty of at some point.

A Shotshell Velocity Experiment: Just Shoot the Target

https://www.bing.com/search?q=veloc...35&sk=&cvid=9F4E9CADDE8441EAAED014A0AB3950AD#
Couple of articles about lead and velocity.

Back