My Dog gave me a Dirty Look!

dc240nt

She hunted real hard for me this afternoon and we bagged a rooster about 4:00 pm. We stopped on a hill and watched a guy go thru an area that was between us and our pickup. Nothing else to do but go thru it ourselves. I told her, "we only need one bird, take your time and check it good, we'll find a Rooster." Sure enough, it wasnt long and she's birdy. I watch her enter some cattails and 15 seconds later she comes out, comes 15 yards towards me and locks on point. I walked over and flushed a Rooster at 5 feet. I let it get out to maybe 15 yards and shoot. I missed! 25 yards I try again...and missed! Panic at 35 yards, and miss again. The whole time Elsie is standing right where she was, watching the bird fly away. When the bird was out of sight, she looked at me with the funniest look on her face....she then blew her nose, and trotted away! I sure got a dirty look from her, and I think she called me a name too!

Great story DC, I have seen it too. I knew a guy in trials too that had a dog that when a gunner missed his bird he would give him a growl when he 1/4ed by the next time.:D. My dog was bummed at me tonight when he flushed 8 hens, no shot and no retrieves. he was geting sick of me I think. But he still had fun.

AHhh the good old WTF look from the dog...don't worry it happenes to the rest of us...I just tell people i didn't want to go home yet :-D

Great story! Thanks for sharing. I just tell everyone it's a good lesson in conservation!!!;) That reminds me, the last one I missed, my dog just stopped and took a dump right there, as if to say there, how do ya like that?

Rod​

Seen it before as well.

We used to hunt with a group of 10 or 12 in North Central Kansas. After pushing a milo patch to this small 10 acre hay meadow on top of the hill, we walked the meadow, got some birds out of it, and all met at the trucks to tell lies and drink a pop and eat a candy bar. Didn't load the dogs up, they just kept running around looking for birds. Sure enough, one goes on point. The farmers son and another guy walk out thinking it was where one had got up on the initial pass. They walk in to the point, a rooster gets up at their feet. They both empty their guns at the bird and he keeps flying. We give them a bunch of crap, and go back to eating and taking a break. You all would call me a liar if the dog went on point again, but it happened, just repeat what I said above. Same guys, same result, a lot more ribbing.

lol!!!!!!!:D

The only reason i miss is because i aim for the head....body shots on phesants are too easy :thumbsup::rolleyes: and when the dog gives me the wtf look i just tell him i didn't want to go home yet :-D

She hunted real hard for me this afternoon and we bagged a rooster about 4:00 pm. We stopped on a hill and watched a guy go thru an area that was between us and our pickup. Nothing else to do but go thru it ourselves. I told her, "we only need one bird, take your time and check it good, we'll find a Rooster." Sure enough, it wasnt long and she's birdy. I watch her enter some cattails and 15 seconds later she comes out, comes 15 yards towards me and locks on point. I walked over and flushed a Rooster at 5 feet. I let it get out to maybe 15 yards and shoot. I missed! 25 yards I try again...and missed! Panic at 35 yards, and miss again. The whole time Elsie is standing right where she was, watching the bird fly away. When the bird was out of sight, she looked at me with the funniest look on her face....she then blew her nose, and trotted away! I sure got a dirty look from her, and I think she called me a name too!

I was 16 and was lucky enough to take my dad's bird dog out quail hunting by myself...he was a good dog....stone cold broke....he pointed a covey while they were feeding in an open field....about 15 birds came up....I shot three times and missed....he bounced around looking kinda funny cause no bird came down. I was reloading my gun....he pointed again right next to where the covey came up...before I got there....he jumped point and tried to catch the bird on the ground...I didnt like it a bit...but knowing the dog...you think he was trying to tell me something?:eek:

The only reason i miss is because i aim for the head....body shots on phesants are too easy :thumbsup::rolleyes: and when the dog gives me the wtf look i just tell him i didn't want to go home yet :-D

The head is a large object. I shoot for the eyes!!! lol:D

Good one:D You know if you guy's want a challenge you could always load shells with just one pellet in them.
:cheers:

One pellet would be a challenge! I would have to have my bifocals on to see it though!! lol

I was recently out on a Sunday morning for a short Hunt. Major pointed a grouse, which I killed and a short time later on point again and up comes a woodcock, which I missed. The woodcock migration should have been over, and I was very surprised to see them, but he pointed 5 and I missed all of them! On the last one, he turns around after the shot and just stares at me, his ears drooping some, as if to say "no dead bird?"with that FU look he gives to me when he ventures out into the yard to pee instead of his kennel. I swear those dogs get miffed at us when we miss, as if to say "Hey bud, I'm out here workin my a$$ off and that's the best you can do?"

Several years ago in Minnesota, My GSP brandy pointed 3 roosters all very good and easy shots. I missed all three. Brandy after the last miss spun around behind me and bit me in the heel, I went on and shot my limit and he was happy. That was the only time that happened......Bob

Worst look I ever got from my pup was last year... She got birdy, pointed a short evergreen bush. I started over her way, a bunch of tweetie-birds popped out and took off.

I looked at her, she looked at me, I told her "We're not huntin' tweetie today! Find me a pheasant!". Started walking. Got about four steps away from her, she dove into the bush, POW - a rooster and two hens came out.

Lucky for me, I got the rooster, but when she brought it to me she fairly threw it at my feet, backed up a yard or two, sat down, cocked her head and WOOFED, once and loud - as if to say "Is that what you were after, SMARTA$$?"

I've never doubted her point since...

Uh yes those dogs are smarter than you think. After hunting at our cabin, near the St Croix by Almelund. We pushed up atleast 6 to 8 grouse which I proceeded to miss. Right before getting to the clearing before the cabin he got birdy jumped into some brush and caught mister partridge in the air and brought it back to me. Although he did not hand it over too fast as he figured I would lose it too. And this springer was half show bred so wasn't the fastest dog in town.

John
Stuck in Ca, but headed to SD next week.

Give her a dirty look next time she busts a bird.

I'm sure your own look of disgust would have been a prized picture, but to have Elsie rub it in a little?????

Brings back some of my memories of the times I did the same thing.

oh i think every pheasant hunter with a dog has gotten the look. i helped out at a junior hunt and even my 5 month old pup has mastered the look. man some of those kids cant hit the broad side of a barn. basically they missed every bird my pup pointed, dakota (pup) hated it

Back