My daughters first successful hunt.

Hunter1971

My 13 year old daughter Mikayla showed up here December 22nd from Utah to spend her Christmas Break with us, and on that same day we left for Yuma to spend the weekend hunting some birds. We hunted several areas pretty hard and she took one hail mary shot at a rooster to no avail. She wasn't used to being ready for that first bird and was a little slow at caulking her .410 shotgun, but after missing that rooster she was ready for every other bird coming up, but unfortantely they were all hens and the roosters were getting up way too far out for her. So needless to say it wasn't a very productive weekend, but me, Mikayla and our Setter Andy had a great time in the fields and at the hotel. I wouldn't trade that time we spent together for anything!!! :thumbsup:

This past weekend I decided to buy some birds and have Mikayla hunt them up with Andy, his trainer Mark, and his 3 pointers. She shot her first rooster with her first shot of the day using my semi auto 12 gauge!! :cheers: She ended up with 1 rooster and 3 chukar!!! She did awesome!! I'm a very proud dad! :thumbsup: She was also very proud!! She kept on rubbing how many birds she shot verses how many I shot all weekend! :rolleyes: I shot my one chukar using her .410, I had to do it, I hadn't shot anything with that gun since I was 12 years old and I'm now 41. :eek:

Last edited:
Congrats to your daughter. That is awesome to see!!! Thanks for sharing :D.

I like to take my 13 year old son out wild bird hunting too, but it can be really frustrating for them. It is like fishing if they aren't catching anything it is really boring. So I like to take him to the bird farms where he shoots alot of birds and flat out enjoys the heck out of it. I don't think he notices the difference cause other than he is shooting birds ;).

Congratulations to your daughter. The smiles on your faces tell it all. I can't wait til my son is old enough to shoot his first bird!

Great!!!! The only thing better than taking your child hunting is taking your grandchild!!!

Keep it up,
Bob

Awesome! Congratulations. Not just on a successful hunt but, also for making a lifetime of memories. She'll be hooked for life now. Not that I'm trying to rush time but, I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to go shooting/hunting with me.

Back