Muddy paws in house.

Springer22

So the pup hasn’t got past the mudroom lately. She is always just so dirty and her paws just to muddy, darn mud in February. Anyone else dealing with this?
Sure I can give her a bath but dirty an hour later. Wipe her paws with a towel but that really isn’t that effective either.

I just have a stack of old bath towels by the door and then I get to wipe them feet clean every time he comes in. He is an in & out boy. It is just drying out a bit here, so it is getting much better lately.

My wife and I used to fight that, using a stack of old towels by the door. As so many of our dogs have passed over the years we could care less now. All carpet is gone and mostly tile and hardwood, it does help that I was a flooring contractor, but their lives are too short to complain about them.

It’s prettty dry now but there for a couple of spans of about a month my dogs never stepped foot in the back yard. It was a mess.
The routine was to get up take them to the park and then drop them off at my wife’s work. Then pick them up stop at the park and bring them home. They are good dogs putting up with that rarely did they even go out after dinner to take care of business.

How you handle it can depend on your house layout alot. For me, I have a sliding door right into my backyard with a kennel in the corner right by the door. When it's muddy outside, my dog goes out, does her thing, then when she comes in she gets to take a 15 minute nap in the kennel (don't tell Goose) to dry off before I let her out to roam the house or resume her nap on the couch. Having them kennel up to dry off also keeps her from doing the in and out routine that's common when it's nice out. But she's learned when it's raining or wet outside, looking out the window might be better than actually going outside and having to go into her kennel when she returns.

It's why crate training is important in young dogs. My dogs have never hated their kennel, they prefer not to be in there or course but it's not a big deal for them to be in there if they have to be. As I mentioned in another thread, I'll often find my dog laying in her kennel with the door wide open. Even though she'll refuse to go out when it's a mess outside and she knows she'll have to kennel up when she comes in.

How you handle it can depend on your house layout alot. For me, I have a sliding door right into my backyard with a kennel in the corner right by the door. When it's muddy outside, my dog goes out, does her thing, then when she comes in she gets to take a 15 minute nap in the kennel (don't tell Goose) to dry off before I let her out to roam the house or resume her nap on the couch. Having them kennel up to dry off also keeps her from doing the in and out routine that's common when it's nice out. But she's learned when it's raining or wet outside, looking out the window might be better than actually going outside and having to go into her kennel when she returns.

It's why crate training is important in young dogs. My dogs have never hated their kennel, they prefer not to be in there or course but it's not a big deal for them to be in there if they have to be. As I mentioned in another thread, I'll often find my dog laying in her kennel with the door wide open. Even though she'll refuse to go out when it's a mess outside and she knows she'll have to kennel up when she comes in.
This is pretty much my layout as well. Sliding door to mudroom off kitchen with her crate in there with door off. We have a baby gate blocking the room. The yard has been just such a mess lately ( she uses it as a racetrack) paws and legs just aren’t coming clean. Just the way it is I guess.

Back