Moving out of the TX Panhandle

JMc

Super Moderator
After the majority of my 62 years, I'm once again moving out of the TX Panhandle. It will be a tough move as I appreciate the five seasons in one day: Cold, Hot, Nice, Nicer, Windy! The wife and I are moving closer to our three boys and grand kiddos. Will call Montgomery TX our new home. House is about 2 blocks off Lake Conroe in a community called Walden. Won't change my association with UPF as I will continue to hunt the Panhandle with family.

That’s going to be a dramatic change in climate, density of people, and traffic you’ll have to deal with! However, I understand the need to be closer to kids/grandkids.

I quail hunted a lot this season out in the south plains and northern Permian of Texas, and it was alarming to me the number of vacant houses there are out in the country. You can tell they were once farm homes where the folks that lived there got old and either moved to town or passed away, and there’s nobody to fill the void.

That part of the world and all of west Texas have been losing population since the 1990’s. Schools that were once UIL class 2A are now playing 6 man football. A lack of industry combined with agriculture becoming more and more “corporatized” = limited employment opportunities. Kids graduate from high school, go off to college, and never move back.

I have a good friend that lives near Huntsville, Texas. He spent his career teaching Ag and then being a school administrator at New Waverly, Willis, and New Caney. Like anywhere, there are some great people down in that part of the world and some really sorry ones. When I’ve been down there to visit him, the humidity always takes some getting used to for this west Texas boy.

Bird hunting opportunities, even for doves, are basically non-existent in that part of the world. My friend has been coming out here to bird hunt with me for 18+ years. However, there’s great fishing at Lake Livingston and other lakes in the area. Lake Conroe is a haven for wake boaters and jet skis once the weather warms up.

Good luck in your new home! If you’re wanting to work part or full time in education, hit up ESC 6 in Huntsville. It’s an outstanding service center and they’re always looking for solid, former school administrators to serve in various capacities.

Back