Mountain quail

quail hound

Were going quail hunting today, hopefully I'll have some pics for you guys Sunday evening.

Wow, Quail is open in california already? Good for you. I have to wait another month. But there are lots of them, this year. cant wait to see you pics.:)

My Quail season opens on Oct.2,I hope there are some good numbers. As they have been declining around here for the past few years..........Bob

I just got back from a morning foray. Lots of quail but few mountain quail. We can't shoot quail (valley) until 3rd week in October. We had a 2nd or 3rd hatch and lots of small birds. If it doesn't have that 3" top feather hold your fire. For now anyway.

Now can anybody tell me how to explain to my dog why I didn't shoot at that 75 bird dream of a covey that kept exploding from right under our noses? I think I'm confusing the boy. ;)

We'll try again in the morning but I'll bet QH will have pics at 11. :)

he may need some therapy after this morning but I wouldn't worry to much until he starts tellin the rest of his buddies how bad of a hunter you are HA HA I can picture it now he turned and gave you that classic what the hell are you waiting for shoot already look

success... sort of

We had a great time. Left home at 4am Saturday, we got to our spot at 6 and moved 4 coveys before 9am. One covey only had about 8 birds so we left them alone. I got 5, my brother got 5, and dad got 2. Some of the birds were very young so we didn't chase them hard, as this is our late season honey hole. Today we decided to find some new coveys and got completely skunked.:mad
:
Here's the birds I took.
c9d6dac1.jpg

This is me and JP after our successful hunt.
f252e4a0.jpg

We also saw 4 decent bucks, about a 200lb blonde bear, and this fella. He sure wasn't bashful
90504a23.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. :10sign:

We went out at sunrise and saw 5 FAT coveys of small valley quail. Must have been 250 birds. I did hear 1 Mtn quail about 1/4 mile away so we sat down, inched our way in and listened. "dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt di-ert". He kept it up as we got closer, and he got closer, must have been within 25 yards, then--- nothing. No flush no bird nada. Oh well. Enjoy dinner.

Does JP get the hearts?

Quail,

Went out today had a great time, hunting doves. Got limit of juves, youngsters. doves got smart. Gambles are all over,must have seen, and flush, 250 or more. Mostly juves, however, some coveys, of 50, or more. cant wait till middle of next month. This is not a place we hunt quail. going to scout areas we do hunt next week.

Glad you had a great time, and happy eating. :cheers:

Thanks guys, the mature birds are nearly the size of chukars, I can't wait to cook them. JP definitely gets the hearts when were cleaning birds, he sits and waits patiently for his reward.

Very :coolpics::coolpics::coolpics: I'm jealous no hunting here yet. Sat. start of duck season boy i'm I ready. Thanks for sharing pictures.

JP sits and waits? ;)

Here's Bodie waiting for one of his first quail. No way he was taking his eyes off 'his' bird. :D

birdboy.jpg

Bodie is one handsome pup! When they work hard and do their job they deserve a reward.

I made a mistake, I took one my friends word, on when Quail opens. Its the 1st of october. Not the 15, of october. Should have known Better.......LOL

Back