Morels Are just Starting

Eastofriver

They popped from the last rain. Just out checking, kicking a few logs north of the Cities. Got enough to fill a 5 gal. bucket 1/2 way after looking for several hours. With the dry forecast it will be sometime before another crop sprouts.
Up north at the cabin (no. of Grand Rapids) it will probably be Memorial Week.

Regardless, we will be up at the cabin from Wed. this week until after the first of June.
Several couples (from the cities) will be joining us for opener, hitting Bowstring, Winni along with our lake and a couple others in the close area.

Good time fishing, great people and good food.

Ok never fished there, but we do the Bowstring,Winnie,and Leech. Now that we retired hope to be on one or the other most days. Good luck on the opener!

Yes retirement agrees with me also.
It seems I am working harder now than I was before retirement.
L & M sure does have me made out as a regular.

Our lake is not known as a "limit" Walleye lake but we always get some real nice ones out of there. We have been putting back any over 21" and it has been really paying off.
With so many lakes close by we use a 12' foot boat to hit some the great Crappie and sunnie lakes.

Where abouts do you hunt Pheasants?

We been hunting around Eureka, SD . Because we know the area, not for the number of birds as of late. That area was about the hardest hit this last winter again, not to high of expectations for this fall. How about you?

Our son used to live in Eureka. He works for CHS and managed the office in Eureka. We were very fortunate with some great hunting on private land. He made some great contacts in the area due to his work. I really like Eureka, with some great people. The club house at the golf course has some great events. If you are in the area check to see what is going on there. It's a good way to make some contacts.

Our son has since been transferred to the Gettysburg office two years ago. The Pheasant hunting has been very good in the area. We hunt private land through our son's contacts in the area.

Were do you stay when hunting the Eureka area?

Nothing here by Alex for me. It was to hot and dry, now cold rain. Bad luck again this year. Maybe next week some will pop, but the grass is getting too high to see them very well. So I likely will say heck with it LOL.

Yes, I agree with you. We had a warm dry spell followed by a cold rain this week. The forecast for the coming week is warm though. Hopefully by the weekend they will pop again. The grass's up by us are still short somewhat.
The kids and grandkids are coming up this weekend. We'll hit the old logging sites in search.
On good days we have filled several 5 gal. buckets full. Blanch and dry, then freeze. Good for at least 6 months that way

We always save some for the fall to go with Pheasants, Grouse and Venison.

Back