More than Pheasants in Eastern Colorado

chadsbritt

My dad and I had an opportunity to hunt deer out east last week. We fortunate to enough to gain access to a few different properties in both Phillips and Yuma Counties. We hunted hard, and on the evening of day four, my dad connected on a great mule deer. He is a 6x4 and is 27 inches wide. He was very thrilled, and this hunt is a memory that will not be forgotten.

The sand hills truly have some hidden gems if you're willing to look long and hard. We came close on Wednesday morning, but another great deer just wouldn't cooperate and jump the fence for us. :mad: We saw good numbers of does and immature bucks; I think the herd is doing well.

I have a whitetail only tag and was never presented a good shot opportunity. Of course we jumped a really nice whitetail while pheasant hunting a walk-in access property, but big game hunting isn't allowed on WIA fields. I don't have time to get back out this weekend; oh well, my primary goal was finding a nice buck for my dad. His is the tag that was difficult to draw and I didn't want him to go home with an empty tag. I'm glad it worked out.

Bleu, thanks for your help posting a picture. I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.

DadsDeer2-Version3_zps7a3cbe11.jpg

Sure is a dandy buck and darker horned than I thought he would be!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Bleu. I knew he was a shooter as soon as I saw him. He was with his harem and there was no question who was the top dog! He was still rutting very hard, and ensured no other bucks came close to one doe in particular.

Absolutely! I wanted nothing more than to see him fill his tag. I really considered mine a bonus tag, and wasn't interested in filling it until he had filled his tag first.

Wow! ...great buck!

Back