More pheasants than ever before!!

A5 Sweet 16

So for the past 16 years, I've been regularly traveling the same 96-minute route between Sioux Falls & Okoboji, IA. I've seen more pheasants, adults & chicks, this summer than ever before along that route. Conditions in eastern SD were very similar last winter & are very similar now. So regardless of all the snow, I'm pretty optimistic for another great season this year.

Thats good to hear but I seen some guy that owns a bunch of land is pretty serious hunter by Pierre and he said that out there the winter killed most of them. Jiston INbright, I think his name is. Pretty knowlegable dude.

Thats good to hear but I seen some guy that owns a bunch of land is pretty serious hunter by Pierre and he said that out there the winter killed most of them. Jiston INbright, I think his name is. Pretty knowlegable dude.
Plenty of apocalyptic ideas out there, touting the end of pheasant hunting as we know it, at least for several years. The thing is, given even a terrible local die-off, they rebound quickly (year or two), given habitat & halfway decent weather.

There's people that only go pheasant hunting (or fishing too) when they hear the numbers are through the roof
That's why South Dakota stopped doing road side counts. A lot of nonresident hunters would only go there when the counts looked good. Now, they market the state as having world class hunting whether it does or not. They can't relay bad news if they don't have it lol

That's why South Dakota stopped doing road side counts. A lot of nonresident hunters would only go there when the counts looked good. Now, they market the state as having world class hunting whether it does or not. They can't relay bad news if they don't have it lol
Nor can they relay good news. Last year numbers were up some, & I wouldn't be surprised if they were up again this year in the areas I hunt, even with the seemingly devastating winter. I think it's safe to say that SD has had world class pheasant hunting almost every year since about 1930, & will continue to, as long as there's habitat.

Terrible winter.
Hot spring with little rain.
Continued drought with only spotty rain in most areas.
Blazing heat.
Hail storms with large hail.

But I still have hope.

I think it's safe to say that SD has had world class pheasant hunting almost every year since about 1930, & will continue to, as long as there's habitat.
And so will North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, etc

My point was that a lot of casual hunters base their trip solely on the road side count. The state knows that. When they showed that the counts were down, they lost hunters. So their strategy is "no news is good news" now. You have a unique, distinct advantage of actually living there that very few have so you can relay your personal view point to us here.

And so will North Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, etc
LOL. None of them are world class. Iowas the only state even in the same relm as SD & still only 1/3 to 1/2 as many roodies shot. Maybe Kansas but I hear its really bad of recent. Them other states never even come close. 20%? 25%? I know. I hunt MN public when I can't go home to SD. Not world class. Crap class.

LOL. None of them are world class. Iowas the only state even in the same relm as SD & still only 1/3 to 1/2 as many roodies shot. Maybe Kansas but I hear its really bad of recent. Them other states never even come close. 20%? 25%? I know. I hunt MN public when I can't go home to SD. Not world class. Crap class.
Those other states still do road side counts though. So there's actual data to represent it.

I do agree that in terms of opportunity, especially on public land, SD has way more of that. Being limited to 5 or 10 days is was gripes me. When I buy a license, I should be able to hunt as many days as I want, when I want. The fact that its now open all through January is a selling point though, if the weather cooperates.

Those other states still do road side counts though. So there's actual data to represent it.

I do agree that in terms of opportunity, especially on public land, SD has way more of that. Being limited to 5 or 10 days is was gripes me. When I buy a license, I should be able to hunt as many days as I want, when I want. The fact that its now open all through January is a selling point though, if the weather cooperates.
SD does county & state harvest estimates that way better at representing hunting opportunity then sketchy roadside counts. Roadside counts don't put birds in a guys vest, bird numbers do. And being pissed about the license SD sells don't make Nebraska or North Dakota world class.

SD does county & state harvest estimates that way better at representing hunting opportunity then sketchy roadside counts.
Those numbers aren't available until after the season though. Roadside counts are an estimate done before the season.

Those numbers aren't available until after the season though. Roadside counts are an estimate done before the season.
I tracked SD roadside counts for years, comparing them to other scientific data & to my own experience. They were at best an indicator of long-term trends. Their big swings from one year to the next rarely corresponded to what I actually saw in the field. Nor did they regularly correspond to a harvest estimate in an area. While crops tend to change frequently from year to year, potentially altering HOW to hunt an area, habitat is usually more consistent. Consequently, bird numbers in an area with decent habitat are usually fairly similar to years past (with anomaly exceptions). So I feel a previous year's (or several years) harvest estimate is almost always a better predictor for an area than a roadside count.

I took a Kansas harvest survey after this last seaso. It was pretty generic. They really were more concerned with what area of the state you spent the most time in as opposed to what area of the state you had the most success in.

Back