Montana Opener

CO_Weimar

I wasn't there ... but our 2 year old Weim, Blitz, was there having a good time. ;) He did OK. He missed out on wild birds last season because of the drought ... trying to make up for lost time this year. My wife is going up to Billings to pick him up next weekend.

6 pheasant and 6 grouse. Somewhere within an hour of Great Falls.

10237501795_e3d390f7f3_z.jpg

:cheers:

I love it up there. I was able to go hunting in the same area when we picked up Blitz from the breeder at 10 weeks. Met our friends Jack and Lisa, who took Dakota and I out for a great day of pheasant hunting near Tower.

6282201788_e08c002762_z.jpg

I went for the first time last year. It was AWESOME

Sharptail, Huns, Sage grouse, and pheasant all in one trip.

Wish I could have been there ... dang!

Received a message from our friend. "He pointed around 50 birds this weekend!"

:cheers:

Co_Weimer:

We wish were there too! Great to see the dog getting some action and it probably helped your friends to have a "good" dog on hand. I've never hunted Montana, never thought of it as bird country, until joining this Forum. Guess I'll have to start looking that way for next year. Heading out to South Dakota the 25th to meet family. The dog is in shape but I need a bit more exercise and sporting clay action. Maybe next week........

Thanks for sharing the pics...:coolpics::thumbsup::10sign:

I too have never hunted Montana, I have traveled through the state, beautiful...maybe one day.

Greg

I had never thought about MT for pheasant either. Then the folks in the picture took me. I saw more pheasants on the drive from Great Falls to Tower than I had seen the previous year in Colorado and Kansas.

I have made a few trips up to Billings and have seen pheasant near there as well.

Edit - Power, MT.

Last edited:
My wife's family is from Great Falls, but I've never hunted up there....where is Tower in relation to GF?

We are off on our trip in the morning!

Old age is creeping up on me ... apparently I had the "ower" part correct ... It is Power, MT. :laugh:

My wife's family is from Great Falls, but I've never hunted up there....where is Tower in relation to GF?

We are off on our trip in the morning!

Back