Montana Mixed Bag?

Sean98

Howdy guys!

I have a few quick questions and I'm hoping you may be able to help. I have a great dog (well, best buddy, and pretty good hunter) who deserves to see some grouse/huns before his hunting days are over, so I'm planning on heading to Montana this fall. I've tried looking around on the Montana Fish & Wildlife page and while it's helpful it hasn't gotten me all the way there yet.

General plan was to head up towards the Miles City area and attempt to hunt public land (or Block Management) but it looks like much of the Region 7 BML is "Type II" and requires some sort of different permission?

I guess my questions are two: 1) If I'm looking for sage grouse, huns & sharpies is that even the right part of the country to be looking? & 2) do I have a decent chance of finding some birds on public ground or I am I just spitting into the wind?

I really appreciate any help you folks could offer.

It takes alot of scouting

Ive hunted Montana for years now and hunting in big sky country is a much diffrent than hunting in the midwest. The country out there is very large so it takes alot of scouting and just plain walking to get a handle on what to hunt and what not to hunt. My advice to you would be pick out an area based on research using Montana's hunting website call ranchers if possible using the block management program and spend at least 7 to 10 days just scouting areas and walking alot. You will get out of it what you put into it. Montana is not for the road hunter its for the guy that gets out there and pound the ground and watch your dog dance across the vast praire.:)

Happy hunting
Tablerock

Howdy guys!

I have a few quick questions and I'm hoping you may be able to help. I have a great dog (well, best buddy, and pretty good hunter) who deserves to see some grouse/huns before his hunting days are over, so I'm planning on heading to Montana this fall. I've tried looking around on the Montana Fish & Wildlife page and while it's helpful it hasn't gotten me all the way there yet.

General plan was to head up towards the Miles City area and attempt to hunt public land (or Block Management) but it looks like much of the Region 7 BML is "Type II" and requires some sort of different permission?

I guess my questions are two: 1) If I'm looking for sage grouse, huns & sharpies is that even the right part of the country to be looking? & 2) do I have a decent chance of finding some birds on public ground or I am I just spitting into the wind?

I really appreciate any help you folks could offer.

Huns aren't as prevelant around here (Miles City) as they are a bit further north and up to the highline. There are alot of sharpies around here, especially the country from Terry and the Cherry Creek area north of there. Lots of sharpies to the east and south as well. There is alot of block management land that will offer you great chances of daily bag limits. Look for draws with good berry crops and also wheat fields with CRP adjoining.

Hope you have a great hunt!

Scott

Back