Montana Hunting

advise

Will be making a 15 hour trip to the plentywood area in Nov. Any advise from u experts on where to find some birds. Never hunted Montana, however have a good contact in Plentywood. Going to hunt for 5 days. Have not heard much about the opend last weekend? From what I have heard you all had a terible winter that knocked the crap out of the birds?

Thanks!

You have a good contact in Plentywood, that would be the main ingredient. Areas with good Winter cover, food source nearby and tall grasses should hold birds.

I hunted the Yellowstone irrigated crop country on the 17th and 18th. Was average numbers for that area. I had expected to see more birds. That area didn't get the heavy snow like the NE. Hard hunting got me 2 on the 17 and a limit by noon Sunday. Mature birds.

Has anyone ever hunted any of the Block Management areas around Billings? I'm just getting back into hunting and am trying to find a couple of decent areas to walk with the dog. Every time I pick up a block management map at the FWP they tell me there aren't many birds there. I'm getting kinda discouraged about the whole block management process.

Block Management

It seems to me that the more Montana BMA areas I have hunted the guiding rule is the better the dog, the better the BMA!

Has anyone ever hunted any of the Block Management areas around Billings? I'm just getting back into hunting and am trying to find a couple of decent areas to walk with the dog. Every time I pick up a block management map at the FWP they tell me there aren't many birds there. I'm getting kinda discouraged about the whole block management process.

Info for next year:

Around Billings is tough because of so many folks just heading out and hitting them after work. You gotta get down around Hardin a bit more and most of the ones on the river are by reservation only, but nice folks and never a problem getting on.

The REZ can have some good huntign too, but again you gotta do some research and maybe befriend a fly-guide (w/ drift boat) and hit the islands late-season on the Bighorn and graba Crow Rez tresspass permit from the agency to access even more places.

Moe :cool:

My second trip to Montana this Spring.
Checked out some bird country in the NE and Central parts of the state.
Sharptails were on Leks and seemed to be plentiful.
Pheasants not all that visible.

This was my main objective.
1st trip total.

P1010013-6.jpg

From the 2nd trip didn't get a total pic.
11 elk and about 24 deer.

P1010052-3.jpg

P1010046-5.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010041-3.jpg

P1010039-2.jpg

Nice sheds! Better watch out posting pictures, someone might recognize which sagebrush bush that is and poach your spot! :laugh:

MD

Pheasant report-Mobridge,sd: good numbers!

Just returned from Mobridge. We took a drive around Mobridge, within two miles in each direction and observed approx. 25 pheasants. Most of them were roosters. Where there was a cut field near cover there were birds especially near or in bean fields.

Jon

Back