MO Expanded Season & Quail Project

Will be interesting for sure. The worse part of that entire article was that they hadn't researched quail since the late 80's. Better late than never though. :thumbsup:

Interesting in reading that they don't think the quail stay within a home range of 20-40 acres. This study should really confirm that.

I have one covey around my place that is 20 acres and surrounded by probably 360 acres a mix of crops, pasture, and tree lines. I don't think I have more than oen covey in all those acres though. Sometimes they are on my place watering at my pond and other times they are west of me quite a ways in the crops or found south of me in the tall grass in a big pasture. I've not found more than one covey.

Think it's like it always was. It explains why you go to 160@ parcel and rather than find the covey you count on, you find 4 different coveys, another other trip you fail to find any! That 160@ may encompass several home territories than the one that we normally see. I agree that I am stunned by the fact it took till now to figure it out Maybe in a perfect world 20@ would suffice. I will assure you, the MDC, doesn't have that on the quail management wildlife areas. The gigantic area required is a dismal prognosis to save the quail. I hope the study will yield some encouragement!

Back