MN report

Bob Peters

Went Saturday group of 3 with 3 dogs. Very busy, maybe even more than average opener. Hunters everywhere. Lots and lots of shooting around us. Our shooting was a little below average, my buddy had a really bad day. He's normally a good shot but woke up on the wrong side of the bed. We had lots of fun, bagged two roosters.

Sunday I hunted with a buddy in the morning. Less hunters and less shooting. We each bagged one and missed one. We split up at noon, and each got our 2nd rooster. The dry conditions made for really tough scenting. Majority of crops are out, harvest looks way ahead of schedule. 20241013_171818.jpg

SC MN. Skye hunted saturday and was wore out so Sunday was just Roxy.

Saturday we saw more hunters then past years. Lots of people driving around at 9am hoping to find an open spot with no success. With no measurable amount of rain in two months made scenting difficult. We had to work to find our roosters.

Went out this weekend, ended up with a 5 man limit on public ground by 11am on Saturday. Sunday I had my 2 by 10:30 and the rest the group came up a couple short by 1pm. Overall we saw a ton of birds, probably around the same amount of hunters as years past. Looking to be a good season, could definitely use some rain to ease the abuse on the dogs. Looking forward to this weekend in MN and then IA and SD in the coming weeks!

The guy from the birdtales got a couple huns last year in MN. And one video he even flushes a flock of quail! He doesn't shoot at the quail because I don't think that's allowed in MN.

Where about were you that you got your hun? I haven't seen a hun in the SW part of the state in about 10 years.
In the last 5 years, I've flushed huns from 3 WPAs and at least 6 WMAs that I can think of. I GPS track coveys when I see them (primarily from the road in the winter), and have at least 15 likely populations identified. There are more huns out there than you think.

Boy are the scenting conditions horrible especially in the grass. Took a ruffed grouse this morning and a rooster this afternoon. That does not happen very often (for me anyways).

Back