Mistaken Identity

kiotehntr

Super Moderator
About 10 or 11 years ago my buddy and I were hunting the public ground around Council Grove Lake and it was raining cats and dogs. We had no K-9 companion back then so we just walked extremely slow and stomped clumps of grass. We ended up with 4 roosters, extremely pleased even with the weather conditions, that we got that many birds. As we were loading back up into the truck a car pulled up and 3 guys got out with guns in tote. I reached for my pistol because of how they flew up on us and they bailed out with guns. They asked us how we did and I told them that we had shot a few. They then told me that Kansas Quail must be the dumbest bird on earth. I aksed them why and they bragged that they had shot well over their limit from fence posts and telephone wires. Puzzled I asked them if I could see them, they said sure and put up their guns and walked back to the trunk of the car, they opened the trunk and low and behold my hunch was correct. There laid probably 45 meadowlarks in a box. I chuckled a bit and asked them why they shot more than their limit. They stated that they didn't get to hunt much and they intended on making the trip worth their while. I laughed a little and asked them if they knew what the Kansas state bird looked like, they weren't sure and they asked me why the heck it mattered. I held back some anger and informed them that they had shot the Kansas state bird. They all turned to me like I was stupid and tried to tell me that I was wrong. I told them that I may be but just to be safe they needed to head to the Rangers station and have them checked just to be sure. Those idiots got into thier car and headed to the station. I couldn't get a plate number because I couldn't see it, they had the plate inside the car on the back windshield. I burst out with laughter after they left and hoped to hell they got what they deserved. Anyone else ever run across someone who shot Meadowlarks that they mistook for Quail?

I've heard jokes and stories about folks coming from the city and doing this, but I always passed it off as another one of those "Pop's BS stories." Well, a few years back a guy from KC came down to work in my facility. He was a boyscout back in the city and said he always wanted to do some hunting b/c he liked the idea of harvesting an animal that he could eat. The first time I took him bird hunting, we saw several pheasants. He shot at some, but never connected. We were walking a treeline and I heard him shoot. He yells, "I got a quail, I got a quail!" I took the dogs over to assist in the retrieval and one of my Britts picked up a meadowlark. Me and my other buddy couldn't help but giggle. It took us a 1/2 hour or so to conjure up the heart to tell him his harvested bird WASN'T a quail and he should probably just drop it in the field somewhere and walk away.

To this day I have never shot a Meadowlark or even shot at a Hen. That is one record that I plan on keeping perfect. I have passed shooting roosters before because they looked like hens when they flushed and with the sun I couldn't tell 100% it was a rooster.

There was a big hunt in SE Kansas about 45-50 years ago by a man from Chicago. As I recall he got a nickname because of it--- "Dovey".

Back