Minnesota numbers down significantly.

This is going to be a tough year here. The numbers are down 27% and the August count was not good. Most of the state is covered in poor or fair numbers with very few areas showing good numbers. We have to hope for a good winter and spring season here to reverse the trend of the last couple years.

Not completely doom and gloom ...

Read the report, brood counts and # of broods are similar if not higher than last year. Survey will miss late broods too....

Point is the # of young birds as a percentage of the populations is equal if not higher than last year.

If a 27% decline results in less leasing pressure on private land and less pressure on public land, then that too is a decent trade off.

Those roadside counts as was mentioned doesn't tell the whole story. Where their was good cover and food available last winter their will still be good pockets of birds. Probably going to be off some from last year but far from doom. The fair weather hunters will read this report and some may decide to not go at all, so less pressure for the rest of us.

Don't care if numbers down, just excited to hunt in MN! Just moved to Southern MN, Fairmont area. Can anyone please tell me where to go for public hunting land?

Don't care if numbers down, just excited to hunt in MN! Just moved to Southern MN, Fairmont area. Can anyone please tell me where to go for public hunting land?

Check out the MN DNR webpage. There are any number of map tools on that website. My choice is the recreation compass where you can drag the map of the whole state, zoom, etc. They are slow to update so don't be surprised if you stumble across publics that you won't find on any DNR map. You'll find that not a lot of people will want to give you coordinates to hunting locations, otherwise.

We talked to a lot of hunters over the weekend, and got the complaint, of low bird #'s and too much standing crops....we went 2 for 3 roosters, out of 3 spots....flushed 3 roosters and 3 hens, the first morning, and flushed 4 birds on sunday...maybe 1 rooster, bad angle with no cackle.....There were definatley birds around....Scenting was kinda bad due to all the green and golden rod.

I hunt in southwestern Minnesota, west of Marshall. We have done very well so far this year. we have adjusted our hunting due to all of the corn that is still standing in the fields, we have done more hunting towards dusk when the birds are heading for roosting cover. This spring we saw as many or more birds than last year and have shot quiet of few young birds this year, once the corn is out I am looking forward to some great late season hunting when you don't see as many hunters around.

Brad, anywhere near Ivanhoe??

Lots of good public land out their. Hunted there a couple years ago and did real well. The hunting just before dusk strategy seems to be gaining popularity with all the corn still up. Birds are content with staying in or very near the crops all day.

Last edited:
Back