Migration Vacation

Fox Walker

I spend two weeks in Northern South Dakota (Eureka) every fall chasing ducks, geese and pheasants with my Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I'm planning to retire this summer and hope to extend my fall bird hunting by spending two weeks in North Dakota first, before heading down to South Dakota to meet up with my normal group of non-retired hunting buddies. Can anyone provide suggestions for a starting point for a freelance hunter. I am willing to rent a room, but also plan to bring a camper in case I need to boondock

Yes, I usually hunt ducks and geese in the mornings and then hunt for pheasants and sharp tails in the afternoons. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, but they are thickly built and wear out after a couple of hours in the uplands. So for us, the split duty works out well.

Yes, I usually hunt ducks and geese in the mornings and then hunt for pheasants and sharp tails in the afternoons. I'm not sure if you are familiar with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, but they are thickly built and wear out after a couple of hours in the uplands. So for us, the split duty works out well.
Some Chessie’s do wear out in the uplands after a couple of hours, some can hunt all day for several days in a row. I do like the idea of a combo hunt though!

Some Chessie’s do wear out in the uplands after a couple of hours, some can hunt all day for several days in a row. I do like the idea of a combo hunt though!
You bring up a point I hadn't given enough consideration. Most of my experience with Chessies is relative to dogs from only two breeders. Can you point me in the direction of someone who breeds Chessies that have great endurance in the uplands?

You bring up a point I hadn't given enough consideration. Most of my experience with Chessies is relative to dogs from only two breeders. Can you point me in the direction of someone who breeds Chessies that have great endurance in the uplands?
I haven't followed chesapeakes in 4 or 5 years. Then I would have looked at redbranch, cursan. and fishers kennels. ask questions. My 62lb shortcoated bitch got it from a caroway dog and that probably came from her cursan side?

My older female is out of Moosepond X Camptown Chesapeakes with field trial background. I then bred her to a Pondhollow dog and kept one and they have worked well for me. As my oldest is now 12, I have been looking for another. I’ve got some feelers out, but nothing written in stone Yet.

Back