mid January quail/pheasant hunt to north central Ks. ( staying in Lucas ). Bringing 3 Brittany's and a Lab.

Bd4evr, thats a pretty long drive to Lucas. But it can be a fun trip, my Britt and I head to Kansas from Va. each year. Access is so much easier than trying to find birds in Va.
I lived in Virginia for 19 years, 9 years while in the Army and 10 years after I retired. Tried hunting wild quail there when I first got there but gave up in frustration. Moved back home to Kansas 2 years ago and have been enjoying the easier access to hunt as well as wild birds. Isn't what it was back in the 70s, 80s and 90s but at least you can hunt and find wild birds.

I'm in the Fredericksburg area.
I've been duck hunting on the Bay ( Reedville area ) for quite a few yrs. Just dosen't seem to be the flyway it once was. Changing focus to the Brittany, quail and pheasants. Maybe woodcock and grouse in the N.E. next yr.

We used to have some really good duck & goose shooting near here, until I was pushed out by "sportsman" who were greedier than I wanted to be. So like you, I focus on trying to find birds for my Brittany. I'll take him to Michigan for grouse & woodcock. Although you can find woodcock here at times. Quail are tough to find, then there are the deer lease guys you have to deal with. Of course they don't want anyone bird hunting on their lease. And grouse hunting has gone from good to nothing where I used to hunt west of here. So we travel where & when we can.

I hunt on a family property just outside of Phoenix VA. ( primarily deer ) always holds a few coveys but never pull the trigger , just not enough of them. Sure is nice to put them up though !

Welcome - just be prepared to move around - follow the weather for the area you plan on going to - pay attention to any hail storms, flooding, drought, untimely rains etc between now and when you show up - hunting could be good could be horrible and you need to move 1 hr or 3 hrs away or even 5 miles.

Mother nature is responsible for some of the bird spottiness, but the biggest culprit is lack of habitat - go where the habitat is and you'll find them good year or bad - just depends on how many you'll see.
I'm curious, would you recommend boots for the dogs ( hunting Russell Cty and likey all surrounding cty's ) non of our dogs have used them. No need here in VA. so would have to get them accustomed to them ASAP.

Be prepared to quarantine for 14 days before hunting. It's coming again.
The Shepards are certainly herding the sheep ! Thank God the generations prior to us had a spine otherwise we would still be under British rule and I wouldn't have be concerned about traveling to KS to hunt as Class restrictions would forbid it !

The Shepards are certainly herding the sheep ! Thank God the generations prior to us had a spine otherwise we would still be under British rule and I wouldn't have be concerned about traveling to KS to hunt as Class restrictions would forbid it !
Well you had to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival during turkey season if your state was on the list. I suspect the same will happen this fall. Eventually they just stopped NR hunting all together this past spring.

Well you had to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival during turkey season if your state was on the list. I suspect the same will happen this fall. Eventually they just stopped NR hunting all together this past spring.
Guess we'll put together a contingency plan for Nebraska / Oklahoma

well now that Kansas and SD have issues, i will hope Iowa remains sensible.
latest rumor is government can now track your movements by cell phone and Bluetooth function.
just a rumor, i have nothing to back it up.....but good way for them to follow your movements and compliance with restrictions?
we are loosing our freedoms folks?? Turn off your Bluetooth function.

Out of curiosity, how did the state of Kansas police NR hunters during turkey season?
well now that Kansas and SD have issues, i will hope Iowa remains sensible.
latest rumor is government can now track your movements by cell phone and Bluetooth function.
just a rumor, i have nothing to back it up.....but good way for them to follow your movements and compliance with restrictions?
we are loosing our freedoms folks?? Turn off your Bluetooth function.

Good question, close friend had a turkey hunt booked but canceled it himself. Knee problem. Your right about the freedoms being taken. As it was once said " if you give up a little freedom for security you have neither " or something close to that. Anyway what about the dog boots ?

No because access
Good question, close friend had a turkey hunt booked but canceled it himself. Knee problem. Your right about the freedoms being taken. As it was once said " if you give up a little freedom for security you have neither " or something close to that. Anyway what about the dog boots ?
As far as dog boots, it depends on the dog. Mine can run right through them and never skip a beat. But I did have a tender foot back in the 90's that would just quit when she got into them. There is no way you could keep those mittens on my dogs anyway.

sand burrs certainly slow my dog way down....i just avoid those fields that haven't been sprayed....dogbooties.com

Hunted Kansas my entire life and I've never booted my dogs. There have been a couple of fields where I wished I had, but that's over nearly 30 years of hunting. In my experience cactus and sand burr are more prevalent the further west and, particularly, south you go. There's a few of them all over, especially in wheat stubble, but they are way more common in the drier, sandier southwest part of the state. Not uncommon to have to stop once or twice a day and clear a couple sand burrs out of the dog's paws, but I'll deal with that over boots. I'd think about conditioning your dogs' paws in some way before coming.

Hunted Kansas my entire life and I've never booted my dogs. There have been a couple of fields where I wished I had, but that's over nearly 30 years of hunting. In my experience cactus and sand burr are more prevalent the further west and, particularly, south you go. There's a few of them all over, especially in wheat stubble, but they are way more common in the drier, sandier southwest part of the state. Not uncommon to have to stop once or twice a day and clear a couple sand burrs out of the dog's paws, but I'll deal with that over boots. I'd think about conditioning your dogs' paws in some way before coming.
Hard to argue against experience ! In Va. we just don't have the "abusive" cover. So far in my 20 yrs or so barbed wire and small sticks ( had to pull a forked stick out of Remi's chest a few weeks ago) she's a hard charger, are the big villains. Bought a chest protector and may get the boots ( insurance ) but certainly would rather not use them (boots). Appreciate the info , anything else you can pass along will be much appreciated too !

Attachments

• 20200531_182923.jpg
    20200531_182923.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200608_111803.jpg
    20200608_111803.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 7
Back