Michigan newbie

skorpyd

Hello, this looks like a great place to get myself re-aquainted with pheasant hunting after a long hiatus. I grew up hunting on my grandpa's small farm North of Lansing. Back then there were enough pheasants that you would expect to put up at least a couple roosters whenever we went out. We would even run into a covey of quail now and then as well as grouse and woodcock when we hit the woods. Now it's just turkeys.

I started bird hunting again this year because my lady friend has a couple of Wirehaired Pointing Griffons and she loves to hunt. We're planning some road trips this year and found this site. So I'm here to learn from some like minded sportsmen.

Welcome. From Michigan too- Brighton. Have a friend with some property in St. Johns- still some pheasants around there but the winter hurt em last year.

Where are the Griffs from? Hunted my dog with some from a kennel in Ovid recently. Was fun

Hi Marsh, Gramp's farm was just north of SJ and the Griffs are from Idaho and Wisconsin.

One is a really great hunter with a lot to learn yet at just over 2 and the other is coming along but is actually deaf so that holds him back some. Cool dogs though. I'll have to check on the breeder in Ovid as I'm possibly thinking about one for myself.

Another Michigan member:thumbsup:. Welcome to the site. There's some good pheasant projects going on over there in Michigan. I and many others wish your state the best in their efforts to bring pheasants numbers back to Michigan.:thumbsup:

Enjoy the forum.:cheers:

Nick

Thanks for the welcomes.

The DNR is trying some. We hunted some new managed areas in the Thumb this year later in the season. Looked like great habitat and the dog did point one hen.

Back