Mentally Checked out!!

Have to disagree ... Most MN WIA is first class. I would take most of them over most WMAs (under managed) any day. Many MN WMAs offer great winter cover, but not much in the way of great hunting cover. In my opinion, most MN WIAs are as good if not better than many ND PLOTS or most KS WIHA.

ND people rarely (never seen it once) leave carcasses ... they clean their birds at home. Probably nonresidents lacking a place to dispose. Can't tell you how many times I find ruffed grouse carcasses with the breasts pulled in northern MN.

For small groups of hunters I believe pure and simple that MN is one the best upland bird states in the Nation. Most hunters are good sports and I have yet to have a single conflict ... in part by design and my effort not to allow those situations to even begin.

MN wia better then KS & ND wiha plots lands etc. But not needed like in these states with little to no public WMA ...

I'll have to agree to disagree under managed land public or private does little to know good for hunters or wildlife... But to compare MN wia to MN WMA. I won't even get into that bs WMA good 1s have crops brood cover winter cover & woody cover only a few wia have all these things when I say crops I mean crops left standing for wildlife not cut stuff enrolled in a wia...

Go hunt western MN wia. Then a proper managed WMA u will see my point...

I hunted KS wiha & ND all plots were cut or crop lands not habitat wiha in KS looked OK only hunted turkey on wiha...

MN WMA if u take the time to look at them u can find tons of WMA with everything a pheasant needs from SW MN to north of Fergus falls pound 4 pound the WMA are better then wia in that range in my opinion we had great hunting b4 wia came along in my opinion

Last edited:
Hey waterdog how do u scout for birds on Friday b4 season??? Not being sarcastic I'm curious do u run your dogs on the public land b4??? Or sit in truck & listen or what???

The guys who squeezed in on our 6 trucks statement was we walked all over this WMA scouting yesterday we have a plan!? I just figured I wanna keep the birds dumb till I run the WMA??? Should I be running my dog scouting the Friday b4???

P.S. 1st I herd guys arriving early to get to a hunting spot is the problem with opening day's of season's I just thought it was the rude hunters?

SMO, for scouting I don't run the dogs in the field. I will just go to the spot with binoculars and watch the spot and survey the field looking for birds and listening for any. Just to get a idea of birds in the area. It's not a full proof way to find a good field but if you have a spot picked out it doesn't hurt to go the day before and just sit for the last couple hours of the day and listen and watch. If you see or hear birds atleast you know they are around and you have a chance at getting a few the next day if you see and hear nothing it might not be a bad idea to try another spot? this is just what I have found works for me and my groups in the past not saying it will or would work for everyone or every spot you go to?

Agree that far western MN WMAs are the best for managed lands (balance of winter cover, nesting grass, and residual crops) ... I assume PF and/or other county groups help pressure them for management or even help out / donate. These are certainly the flagship MN WMAs, but venture just a few counties north and east and the quality deteriorates quickly.

I assume many WMAs in "middle MN" are tax forfeited lands that were visited once by the DNR to slap up the signs. Overgrown with thistle and cedars ... no food plots ... and when the farmers surrounding the WMA turn their land to dirt ... well.

The prairie chicken WMAs are a great example of lack of active management. They have not been burned for ages. Rogue cedar trees popping up all over ...

Remember the WIA costs are a fraction of what a WMA costs to buy and manage .. and many WIA lands are simply not on the market.

WIA opens private land to all hunters not just ones that can lease.

WIA helps supplement CRP, CREP income or provides enough extra cash to prevent further habitat removal. It keeps more habitat available.

WIA further more helps distribute hunting pressure across the fall hunting season.

The WMA management in Northern MN isn't bad at all. From what I've seen they are clear cutting to produce young aspen stands, which well grouse numbers, at least where I hunt.

The WMA management in Northern MN isn't bad at all. From what I've seen they are clear cutting to produce young aspen stands, which well grouse numbers, at least where I hunt.

I'm not trying to argue or change ur mind I've hunted all over MN we have more quality WMA then wia just pound some ground around the state & u will agree if being honest...

I agree the WMA are good up north for deer waterfowl & grouse of all species... No comparison to most WMA & a wia in MN. I hunted lots of wia 1st 3 years of program in MN was not impressed out west MN wear lots of wia ...

SW MN has tons of quality WMA not just west PF & state have managed some WMA almost 30 years... North MN WMA grouse hunting trails etc. SE MN deer turkey pheasant on WMAs

Many out west & SW MN WMA are managed by the state & many team up with state & PF chapters & or local farmers to help plant crops on WMA tree plantings etc. Wia not the case...

I shot all my MN prairie chickens off WMA family as well hunted 3 or 4 prairie chicken units your claim that MN prairie chicken WMA are poorly managed is not what I've seen I've seen WMA converted to prairie from cropland brush hogged danceing grounds & plenty of birds... Your experience does not jive with my findings over the years...

Last edited:
These threads get thrown for such a loop sometimes from the initial topic. I get a kick out of everyones different ways they see and do things. It's hunting, nobody does anything the same way. As much as I dislike the rush of hunters opening day, I can never resist the rush of a flushing rooster so I give in every year. Maybe one of these years I'll hold off, but it wont be this year. I'm excited to see everyone's pics, have a nice hunt, be respectful and safe!

These threads get thrown for such a loop sometimes from the initial topic. I get a kick out of everyones different ways they see and do things. It's hunting, nobody does anything the same way. As much as I dislike the rush of hunters opening day, I can never resist the rush of a flushing rooster so I give in every year. Maybe one of these years I'll hold off, but it wont be this year. I'm excited to see everyone's pics, have a nice hunt, be respectful and safe!

Well said! And +1 on the last line!

:thumbsup:Killed our chickens on WMAs too, but in the zone we hunt they have shown a steady progression from OK to bad from 2006 to present. Rogue cedars and thistle (weeds) are bad. Needs to be burned or even grazed.

My biggest Tom came off a WMA. 3+ year old bird. Big bird for a deep woods bird and hooks ... yow. I was over a mile from my truck so the carry back was long, but with a smile.

Your right SMO there are ZERO pheasants on WIA. Everyone should stay clear.

Good Luck everyone.

Last edited:

Yes - when they decide to manage them, they can do it right. Glad to hear they are cutting in your area! :thumbsup:

Back