Max Capacity Hunting out of Truck

Fnewguy

Wanted to get some feedback on hunting with two other guys (3 total) and four dogs out of a full sized crew cab pick-up with topper . My dog will ride in the back seat with me, but with 3 large dogs in crates and all our gear in back, I dont see this working well. I am considerinig driving separately to make this a more pleasant trip. The extra gas $ may be money well spent. Am I being too uptight, or will this work?

You should be able to get 4 in the back under the topper. How big are your crates/what kind of dogs?

I'm a drive separately type of guy. Two dogs, cooler, bag of clothing and a bag of electronic equipment, tote of dog gear and some food and drink fills my Denali XL. I could handle another guy, but he couldn't bring any gear:)

We normally road trip with two guys and 3 dogs in a full size with a topper. We used a hitch carrier last year to carry the cooler and some extra gas. My hunting buddy brings a lot of crap...

Last month I was talking to my life long hunting buddy. He said, "For me hunting is 95% about the dogs and 5% about the birds." Then he paused a minute and said, "that's not true, it's 80% about the dogs, 15% about the guys you hunt with, and 5% about the birds."

I agree with my buddy which is why I would rather be a bit cramped and all in one truck than have plenty of space and ride by myself.

Here is the setup I created last year so I wouldn't have the problems your referring to.

Under topper storage with up to 6 dogs in kennels:
http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16420

Depends on the people in the group and how long the trip is.

When I began to take long hunting trips I went with others who ran the show. Never very good. Time off is precious to me. So, I took over organizing the expeditions. Most agree that things are much, much better now. We are a main group of 4, we invite few others. Those that didn't get it, weren't invited back.

It is hard to find good travelling and hunting companions.

My son and I just came back from our annual hunt.
We take two dog crates and gear for the week in a crew cab one ton Dura max with a full 8' box.
Some years I put a small freezer in there as well.
My hunting partner brings his own rig, an older Suburban, with two dogs.
It's nice to be able to leave one vehicle at the finish point of an area and drive back when the hunting is best done that way.
Taking one truck would mean only one gun apiece, and that just will not do!!:D:laugh:
Even my son shoots two different guns at times, but I have been know to take 6 to play with, and so does my hunting buddy!
We sometimes change up guns several times a day, just for the enjoyment of shooting them.
That takes a lot of ammo as well as my hunting bag full of cleaning and repair stuff.
Nope, we like lots of room!:rolleyes:
On a simple day trip that is only 1/2 hour to the spot however,we can get away with one truck......
DHT

company

I think jake has come the closest, I love hunting alone but love sharing the ride and the bs that comes with it. just make do

cheers

Have you considered and enclosed trailer? One of the guys I hunt with has a smaller one and it really alleviates a lot of storage issues. Not sure if you could find one to rent instead of driving a separate vehicle?

Back