Martin SD?

Frangler

Has anybody ever hunted around the Martin area? I've driven through there many times and it always looks birdy but I don't see many birds. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I have, many times but that was years ago. There is a large wildlife refuge (Lacreek) that allows pheasant hunting and some public land also, if you hunt this area be VERY sure you are on public land as there is a lot of Tribal Trust land in the area and you do NOT want to get caught trespassing on it.
All that said I have had some really outstanding pheasant hunts in the area.:thumbsup:

Order a public lands hunting atlas from the SD Game Fish and Parks--it should be coming out in Aug and you can get one sent to you or download it from the SD GF&P web site http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/areas/maps/default.aspx good luck

Last edited:
Can be OK. Lots of public on the map but lots of it is straight crop ground for goose hunting. Bennett Co. has also lost lots of CRP in the last 5 years. Somewhat close to Rapid City so it gets way more pressure than you would think.

at least wear i was in SD this fall if the indian trust lands were deeded & not tribal owned supposedly you can obtain permission to hunt then lands with out tribal license??? its different on each reservation but wear i was you could not hunt the res lands inside the res boundaries but the lands outside the boundaries that were not tribal owned but labeled as indain trust lands u could hunt with permission but very gray area & confusing for a newbie to the state i did talk to a local game warden he said the same thing but he was the guy that let the cat out the bag & told me the real deal... you still would have to contact a tribal member or even the board to gain access to trust lands so better off to work public much more fun anyway... beautiful country in that area write on the edge of the prairie & the buttes & ponderosa pine forests...

I hunt just SW of Martin in Nebraska and we get into quite a few sharpies along with the pheasant so I always figured it could be pretty good around there. I don't want any trouble with the indian res but isn't there a fair amount of walk in land around Martin?

got to peep out the SD atlas even the on-line version my friend the hole BENNETT CO is checker boarded with public lands mostly refuge & WIA...

ive only been through the area once or twice in the daytime i always try to drive through most of SD at night just not much to see till around wall SD to the east at least on I-90 same goes for HWY 20 in NE to the south i try to drive through then areas in the dark only cows to see in them sandhills... lol

Bad hail report

Noticed on a rain report from 12 east of Martin and I quote.

"Had an 1.69 of rain in 45 minutes with golfball and some tennis ball sized hail, gardens and crops are pretty well shredded around here. " :eek:

This what I hope does not happen here around Platte.

It's just gotta be hard on the birds.

Just wide spread thunderstorms and hail is always a possibility in any of them, it's just that time of year on the Great Plains. :)

Back