Marion or Council Grove Reservoirs.......

professor

Hey all. I've got the urge to bust out of my comfort zone, leave my normal stomping grounds, grab a map, my dog, and head out. I've circled in these two reservoirs to do some bird chasing and was wondering if anybody had any advice on either or both. I'll just be going through the public hunting areas, and possibley hitting some walk-in if there is any nearby. Thanks in advance for any info.

Happy Hunting.
professor

I've seen at least a few pheasants and a couple coveys of quail at Marion each time I've been there, though I haven't been there this year. Council Grove may hold some quail and there may even be a rooster learking somewhere around there, but I've never seen one while hunting or driving around there. For about 3 years I ran my bird dogs down the gravel roads around CG reservoir and never came across a single pheasant. I've shot pheasants in Lyon county before and I've shot them in W Morris county; I've even shot one in Wabaunsee county, so I know there is potential for them to be in the area. There is some good CRP WIHA west of the C.G. reservoir. Didn't see any birds there last year either, but I hunted a 1/2 section of CRP by myself.

Last edited:
A buddy and I hunted the public area around Council Grove about 8 years ago. It was raining cats and dogs but we walked thru a grass strip without dogs and got 3 roosters. Haven't been back since. Good luck regardless

Areas

Council Grove will lean more toward quail and prairie chickens. The lower elevations of the area tend to flood regularly resulting in years with limited habitat. Marion is probably more productive overall. It has some of the best cropland for SC Kansas wildlife areas. I would bet it has more diversity and it's larger as well.

I walked many miles of CG public hunting area earlier in the season. No pheasants, but there were a few quail here and there. The walk-in areas right next to the public hunting areas didn't hold anything when I was there, but it is colder now and maybe some birds are tucked into the heavier CRP. There is a LOT of good cover in the public hunting areas. They are doing a nice job of managing the public land over there IMO. Good luck to you.

Anyway, if you go to Council Grove, I would load your gun for quail. Then you'll be sure to see some pheasants.:D

Back