Marchmellows for your dog

Golden2Hunt

A person recommended I give my dog marshmallows during the day of a hunt for increased energy. I tried it once last week and actually thought it worked. Has anyone heard of this or tried it themselves? Want to make sure this isn't going to be hamfull long term.

Otherwise, I know they sell energy bars for dogs. Anyone know if they work or is it a just a way to get us to spend money?

The breeder I bought one of my dogs from uses the aerosol cans of cake decorating frosting, and lots of water throughout the hunt. Squirt of sugar and fat and big drink of water.

Heat stroke scares the heck out of me, and I have a couple of highly motivated dogs that would run themselves to death if I let them.

I prefer water and IAMS puppy biscuits. Small snack, good protein to fat ratio. 27/14 protein to fat. Yet to see a dog that didn't like them.

Omega 3 fish oil seems to help with soreness, and the Purina energy bars seemed to help them recuperate after about 3 days of hunting.

Peanut Butter sammichs
Carbs and protein

PLENTY of water - even when you think they dont need it. A dog will rarely turn it down

On 10/24/09 there was a thread posted called "Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches?" In the main dog forum. There is a cookie recipe in there that I use for high energy. Give that thread a look.....Bob

The breeder I bought one of my dogs from uses the aerosol cans of cake decorating frosting, and lots of water throughout the hunt. Squirt of sugar and fat and big drink of water.

Heat stroke scares the heck out of me, and I have a couple of highly motivated dogs that would run themselves to death if I let them.

I prefer water and IAMS puppy biscuits. Small snack, good protein to fat ratio. 27/14 protein to fat. Yet to see a dog that didn't like them.

Omega 3 fish oil seems to help with soreness, and the

Purina energy bars seemed to help them recuperate after about 3 days of hunting.

I don't believe you can get those any more can you? Purina that is. I hear there is some others but weather they work I don't know.

I don't think some hunters understand the need for after hunt nourishment. I give it to Tony not because he is out of shape as you suggest. I feed the Malti-Dextrin cookies to help him recuperate from the hunt faster. So he is back to full vim and vigor the next morning........Bob

Last edited:
Dog Energy in the Field

I let my dog eat all he wants the night before a hunt rather than his usual ration, and I do not give him anything in the morning as I usually do which insures that he enters the field on an empty stomach. He hunts hard all day, but he just turned three so he's naturally high energy too. I carry water and a small bowl in my game bag into each field. In some of the big fields we hunt we can be out for 1.5-2.0 hours. Got to water the dog in the field in such circumstances.

Back